From: Henning Jensen on
Hi

How does you organizing your files and directories on the HP50/49g+?

I have tried to use a flat structure of directories with only a few
layers of directories as say:

/Technical /problem_1
/problem_2
/..
/Private /problem_1
/problem_2
/..
/xx / problem_1
/problem_2
/..
And then only as few as possible variables in the upper directories so
it not confuses the problem solving.

Is this the best way to do it?

Regards

Henning.
Regards
Henning.
Please Remove in E-mail when used directly: hen-jens(a)mail.REMOVEtele.dk.
From: Dueño de Monte on
What for is your calculator ?

Depends on what do you want to do with it the way you should structure
your "file/variables tree".

I normally have a File named like miself, that includes all personal
data (phones, agenda, car maintenance, etc), another for my Forestry
normal use (data collection, statistical analysis, unit conversions,
etc), another for "Utilities" like Tide calculation, Financial
programs, Photo management and handling (OpenFire files), cronograph,
Backup rutines, etc.

Also has a File for games, and some reference documents (Help Manual
for the HP50g)

The Forestry File, has its own customized menus, including some unit
conversions I made, for units that are not very common (round log
volumes to milled Board Feet wood, etc) .

So, you can have on the machine as many aplications as you want,
depends on what you want to do with it, the way you structure the File-
Variale Tree.

Daniel

From: PremiumBlend on
On Sep 25, 12:28 am, Henning Jensen <hen-j...(a)mail.REMOVE_THIStele.dk>
wrote:
> Hi
>
> How does you organizing your files and directories on the HP50/49g+?
>
> I have tried to use a flat structure of directories with only a few
> layers of directories as say:

> /Technical   /problem_1
>         /problem_2
>         /..
> /Private /problem_1
>         /problem_2
>         /..
> /xx        / problem_1
>         /problem_2
>         /..
> And then only as few as possible variables in the upper directories so
> it not confuses the problem solving.
>
> Is this the best way to do it?
>
> Regards
>
> Henning.
> Regards
> Henning.
> Please Remove in E-mail when used directly: hen-j...(a)mail.REMOVEtele.dk.

Hello Henning,

You can use the ORDER command to rearrange the VAR menu if you
want to put your files and directories in a certain order. You will
notice
the File Manager keeps the files in each directory in the same order
as
they appear in the VAR menu. You can sort the variables in a directory
by executing the sequence \<< VARS SORT ORDER \>> (from The HP
48 Handbook by James Donnelly).

Regards,

Mark
From: Henning Jensen on
On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 06:00:35 -0700 (PDT), Due�o de Monte
<duenodemonte(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>What for is your calculator ?
>Depends on what do you want to do with it the way you should structure
>your "file/variables tree".

Sure - It is mainly for my engineering work. Thanks Daniel for your
kindly reply.
The showed file tree just shown the principles, there are approximate
40 sub-directories under HOME. And the memory is all most filled with
programs and data :-)

>So, you can have on the machine as many aplications as you want,
>depends on what you want to do with it, the way you structure the File-
>Variale Tree.

Any good way of navigating around between the directories from one
problem to another? I have looked at MENU / TMENU but not felt it was
really good / quick?

Some of my programs starts to set the path, but many times I just use
a equation ('EQ') for solving this. And here use the FILES to get
there.
From: Henning Jensen on
On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 11:56:48 -0700 (PDT), PremiumBlend
<mnhollinger(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>You can use the ORDER command to rearrange the VAR menu if you
>want to put your files and directories in a certain order. You will
>notice
>the File Manager keeps the files in each directory in the same order
>as
>they appear in the VAR menu. You can sort the variables in a directory
>by executing the sequence \<< VARS SORT ORDER \>> (from The HP
>48 Handbook by James Donnelly).

Thank's Mark for your reply.
Yes, this sort the files and variables. But the reason I try to keep
very few variables in HOME and upper directories is that HP49g+ see
these in below sub-directories and use these when performing a
symbolic operation.