From: mas on
Zachary Burns schrieb:
> I have a company controller that loves to micro-manage people and
> unfortunately loves to do it with software instead of dealing with the
> people problem...but anyway I'm getting off on a rant....
>
> Is there a way to have postfix queue outgoing mail until he reviews it and
> if it's valid release the email and send it as normal. I can write a web
> interface to have him allow/deny messages in the queue, but wanted to even
> know if I'm barking up the wrong tree.
>
> If he wants to sit there all day approving/denying messages that's fine with
> me (but I think it's a waste - just fire the employees! There's plenty of
> good people out there that would love a job now-a-days).

Why not:

- Add a restriction that puts certain mail on hold. -> access(5)
- Write silly web frontend to postsuper -H. (Locked-down webmin?)

Depending on your actual infrastructure, you may need to be careful
about internal-to-internal mail, but that's just a question of picking
the proper set of restrictions.

-martin

--
Martin Schmitt - Schmitt Systemberatung - http://www.scsy.de
DE 35415 Pohlheim, Gießener Str. 18

From: Victor Duchovni on
On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 08:39:04AM -0400, Zachary Burns wrote:

> I have a company controller that loves to micro-manage people and
> unfortunately loves to do it with software instead of dealing with the
> people problem...but anyway I'm getting off on a rant....
>
> Is there a way to have postfix queue outgoing mail until he reviews it and
> if it's valid release the email and send it as normal. I can write a web
> interface to have him allow/deny messages in the queue, but wanted to even
> know if I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Postfix can automatically put all email on "HOLD", and you would have
to write a tool that:

- Runs as "postfix" so it can access the queue.

- Uses "postcat" to extract the message envelope and content
for display to the approver.

- Uses

postsuper -H <queueid>; postqueue -i <queueid>

to release an approved message.

- Uses:

postupser -d <queued> hold

to delete a rejected message (from the "hold" queue only just-in case).

This is not too difficult. A better option (but more code) is to customize
an SMTP server (Perl, Python, Java, ...) that saves the message envelope
and content into an approval queue, and injects a new message into the
Postfix queue when an item on the approval queue is approved.

- Does not to run as "postfix"

- Does not depend on undocumented "postcat" output, which is not
intended as interface for customization.

- Does not run into issues with delay warnings, or other subtleties
of "frozen" messages.

--
Viktor.