From: "Zachary Burns" on
I have a company controller that loves to micro-manage people and
unfortunately loves to do it with software instead of dealing with the
people problem...but anyway I'm getting off on a rant....

Is there a way to have postfix queue outgoing mail until he reviews it and
if it's valid release the email and send it as normal. I can write a web
interface to have him allow/deny messages in the queue, but wanted to even
know if I'm barking up the wrong tree.

If he wants to sit there all day approving/denying messages that's fine with
me (but I think it's a waste - just fire the employees! There's plenty of
good people out there that would love a job now-a-days).

Zack

database 5062 (20100426) __________

http://www.eset.com

From: Matt Hayes on
On 4/26/2010 8:39 AM, Zachary Burns wrote:
> I have a company controller that loves to micro-manage people and
> unfortunately loves to do it with software instead of dealing with the
> people problem...but anyway I'm getting off on a rant....
>
> Is there a way to have postfix queue outgoing mail until he reviews it and
> if it's valid release the email and send it as normal. I can write a web
> interface to have him allow/deny messages in the queue, but wanted to even
> know if I'm barking up the wrong tree.
>
> If he wants to sit there all day approving/denying messages that's fine with
> me (but I think it's a waste - just fire the employees! There's plenty of
> good people out there that would love a job now-a-days).
>
> Zack

Zack,

Slap him.. first of all. Second.. WHY? Third.. "Not that I know of"

Even if company emails is considered company 'property' at times,
there's still a question of privacy and what laws he COULD be breaking
doing as such.

and that's.. like you said, a dumb idea. He'll 1) forget to do it 2) be
too much that he gives up 3) see things he probably shouldn't 4)
vacation and it won't get done.

I can go on, there are just a LOT of reasons why you do NOT want to
allow this.

-Matt

From: "Zachary Burns" on
I agree 100% - I told him that it's not possible, but was curious of the
answer as it might make sense for a VERY small organization that needs to
contain sensitive data, BUT I can't imagine doing this myself or
realistically for our business - what a mess that would be.

You've confirmed my thoughts. Thanks.

Zack

From: Tom Hendrikx on
Zachary Burns wrote:
> I have a company controller that loves to micro-manage people and
> unfortunately loves to do it with software instead of dealing with the
> people problem...but anyway I'm getting off on a rant....
>
> Is there a way to have postfix queue outgoing mail until he reviews it and
> if it's valid release the email and send it as normal. I can write a web
> interface to have him allow/deny messages in the queue, but wanted to even
> know if I'm barking up the wrong tree.
>
> If he wants to sit there all day approving/denying messages that's fine with
> me (but I think it's a waste - just fire the employees! There's plenty of
> good people out there that would love a job now-a-days).
>
> Zack

Hi,

As you said, ranting about the initial idea is food for a separate
thread. The issue you want to resolve, sounds a lot like mailing list
software with posting approval.

I'm not sure if existing mailing list software has the option to send to
arbitrary recipients (ignoring the 'list' concept), or can be hacked
easily into doing what you need. Setting up postfix into pushing all the
e-mail from 'monitored employees' to the mailing list software seems
trivial to me.

--
Regards,
Tom

From: Mark Goodge on
On 26/04/2010 13:39, Zachary Burns wrote:
> I have a company controller that loves to micro-manage people and
> unfortunately loves to do it with software instead of dealing with the
> people problem...but anyway I'm getting off on a rant....

You are aware that this list is archived publicly, I hope :-)

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22I+have+a+company+controller+that+loves+to+micro-manage+people%22

> Is there a way to have postfix queue outgoing mail until he reviews it and
> if it's valid release the email and send it as normal. I can write a web
> interface to have him allow/deny messages in the queue, but wanted to even
> know if I'm barking up the wrong tree.

I don't think there's any way you can do this with the MTA alone, at
least not directly. If I was undertaking a project like this, I'd work
on the same principle as virus and spam scanning - that is, divert all
mail submitted on the standard port to an external application, and then
allow that application to re-inject it on a different port where it is
then handled as normal. It wouldn't be too complicated to write the
necessary external app yourself, if you're a reasonably competent
programmer in any language you've got available on your system (since
you want a web-based interface, I'd be inclined to do it all in PHP, but
that's just personal preference). One possible way of doing it with
off-the-shelf software would be to use something like Maia Mailguard -
configure it to quarantine *everything*, and then use the built-in
web-based management system to release the messages that are approved.

As others have said, though, it is an incredibly dumb idea for any
situation other than places where you might be dealing with genuinely
top secret material.

Mark