From: Bob on
After three weeks away from my desktop computer, I had hundreds of emails to
download into my outlook inbox. When the download was over, outlook closed
immediately and if opened, closes again after checking for the effects of an
improper closing. So, how do I recover from this, since Outlook shuts off
before I can delete what I don't need. Second, other than being more
regular in blocking junk mail, what can be done to avoid this in the future?

Bob
From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on
"Bob" <Bob(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> After three weeks away from my desktop computer, I had hundreds of emails to
> download into my outlook inbox. When the download was over, outlook closed
> immediately and if opened, closes again after checking for the effects of an
> improper closing. So, how do I recover from this, since Outlook shuts off
> before I can delete what I don't need. Second, other than being more
> regular in blocking junk mail, what can be done to avoid this in the future?

What's the size of the PST?
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

From: robert pindell on
Sorry for the delay.

Outlook won't work in safe mode.

The only error message in the event viewer was a series of five 7011 codes in a row for the system category.

I'm still trying to get to the PST file - I understand it is somewhat hidden. Trying to do my tax return is eating into looking at how to find it.

Bob

---
frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.outlook.general/Outlook-2002-shuts-down-with-700-unread-emails
From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on
"robert pindell" <user(a)msgroups.net/> wrote in message

> I'm still trying to get to the PST file - I understand it is somewhat
> hidden. Trying to do my tax return is
> eating into looking at how to find it.

Open Windows Explorer. Enter the following into the Address field:

%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

Press Enter. That should open the folder most likely to contain your PST.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

From: Robert Pindell on
After another break for travel and following Brian's instructions I get archive.pst = 127,168 KB and outlook.pst = 667,872 KB. A lot less than 2GB.

---
frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.outlook.general/Outlook-2002-shuts-down-with-700-unread-emails