From: Tom K. Tom on
I have a user running Windows XP Pro SP3 (Fully patched) and Outlook 2003 SP3
(Fully patched) that's having a problem where anytime he goes to attach a
file (regardless of file type, size, etc.), Outlook locks up, at which point,
regardless of how long I sit and wait, I end up needing to kill Outlook.exe
AND Explorer.exe via task manager, then restarting Explorer.exe for the
machine to resume normal operation. The users mailbox is connecting to an
Exchange 2003 server.

I have the following events in my Application Log everytime this occurs....

Event ID 1002 (Category 101)

Hanging application OUTLOOK.EXE, version 11.0.8312.0, hang module hungapp,
version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000....

.....followed by event ID 1001....

Fault bucket 1365819674

I've attempted the following resolutions so far, all of which haven't made a
difference...

1. Repair Office 2003
2. Reinstall Office 2003
3. Disconnect all mapped drives
4. Uninstall antivirus and attempt attaching files with no antivirus present
5. Run Outlook in safe mode (outlook.exe /safe)
6. Ensured there are no enviroment variables pointing to anywhere outside of
C:\
7. Recreated mail profile from scratch
8. Ensured no 'bad' or broken links in My Network Places
9. Ran hard drive diagnostics and chkdsk /r, both of which passed.
10. Ran Dell diagnostics on laptop, all of which passed.
11. Updated all drivers and BIOS to latest verisons (Dell Latitude D820)

Researching the issue, I found someone who experienced the same problem
without a resolution either. They seemed to think it had something to do with
an Outlook Connector, but there aren't any on this system I can find traces
of in either Add/Remove Programs, the Program Files folder, or the registry.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I'm stumped!