From: Paul Cartier on
I am have just migrated my mail to a new Vista box with Outlook 2003
installed. All my accounts are correctly configured and ALL fail to
connect with a "xx_account - Receiving reported error (0x80040900) "

The curious thing is that if I shut down Outlook and test the accounts
via the Vista control panel (User Accounts | Mail), they ALL connect
perfectly!!

So the issue seems to be specifically related to my Outlook.
Can anyone assist me please?

P.

P.S. For the record, Outlook IS defined as my default email client
From: Brian Tillman on
Paul Cartier <netinfo(a)xs4all.nl> wrote:

> I am have just migrated my mail to a new Vista box with Outlook 2003
> installed. All my accounts are correctly configured and ALL fail to
> connect with a "xx_account - Receiving reported error (0x80040900) "
>
> The curious thing is that if I shut down Outlook and test the accounts
> via the Vista control panel (User Accounts | Mail), they ALL connect
> perfectly!!

The Test button in the Account dialogue doesn't do a complete end-to-end
test. The error you describe indicates a problem locating the server you've
defined, indicating a domain name issue, perhaps. Can you telnet to the POP
server? Here are soem general troubleshooting techniques:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813514
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

From: Paul Cartier on
Brian Tillman wrote:
> Paul Cartier <netinfo(a)xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
>> I am have just migrated my mail to a new Vista box with Outlook 2003
>> installed. All my accounts are correctly configured and ALL fail to
>> connect with a "xx_account - Receiving reported error (0x80040900) "
>>
>> The curious thing is that if I shut down Outlook and test the accounts
>> via the Vista control panel (User Accounts | Mail), they ALL connect
>> perfectly!!
>
> The Test button in the Account dialogue doesn't do a complete end-to-end
> test. The error you describe indicates a problem locating the server
> you've defined, indicating a domain name issue, perhaps. Can you telnet
> to the POP server? Here are soem general troubleshooting techniques:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813514

Thanks Brian ... bit of a delay coming back on this one but I got it
working ... for the record the problem was related to the Firewall
settings in my anti-virus software(Kaspersky). I shut EVERYTHING off ..
had to restart (didn't work without this operation) then it worked ..
and brought all the virus/firewall functinally back into play bit by bit
.... and it kept working. Curiously enough I am back at precisely the
same original settings in KasperskY!! However I think another grenlin
might have been windows mail which was configured on the Vista box
before I installed Outlook 2003.

P.