From: Mltwwlco on
The problem still continues even with the April 13, 2010 Outlook 2007 Junk email filter (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981433), so I am still searching for a solution.

I'll repost this question to the correct managed newsgroup microsoft.public.outlook.general.
<Mltwwlco(a)noemail.noemail> wrote in message news:...
I installed KB978401 Description of the Office Outlook 2007 hotfix package (Outlook-x-none.msp) February 23, 2010 on 4 test computers, and all 4 computers continue to classify email from user0(a)newdomain.com as junk. I still need a solution to this issue.
"Mltwwlco" wrote in message news:a1a4fb3b-2af6-4080-9a17-22e9c3960296...
I'll remove the manual addition of @newdomain.com from one of the test computers and apply the hotfix recommended, but it will be several more days before I can implement this. I would appreciate input on this issue from Microsoft as well.

"Diane Poremsky" wrote in message news:6b180518-b647-4244-9384-df0dd46f7f20...
I wonder if that scenario is covered by a recent hotfix - One issue addressed is domains on the Safe Senders and Recipients list in Outlook 2007 are unexpectedly sent to the Junk E-Mail folder

Description of the Office Outlook 2007 hotfix package (Outlook-x-none.msp): February 23, 2010
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=978401

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

From: Mltwwlco on
Neo, it is being sent via unauthenticated SMTP, but many other submissions are not being marked as spam and are being sent via the same method. Also I realize that I did not quote my original question (I copied and pasted without double checking), so here it is:

According to the Outlook 2007 SP2 help:

"If you are using a Microsoft Exchange account, all of the names and e-mail
addresses that are in your organization's address book (also known as the
Global Address List) are automatically considered safe. "

however for the last several weeks many of our users are reporting that
automated emails sent by our web server via SMTP to our Exchange server are
being classified as junk. The Exchange 2003 server does not have any 3rd
party spam filtering software, and is not running the IMF
(http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=21607). The clients are running
Outlook 2007 SP2 and should have the latest Outlook Junk E-mail filter Jan
12, 2010 (KB977839) installed (via AU).
The webserver is addressing the mail FROM: user0(a)newdomain.com and sent
TO: DL(a)newdomain.com (which is an internal DL). Most of our users are still
setup with their primary reply to email address as user-X(a)olddomain.com and
have a secondary SMTP address of user-X(a)newdomain.com . Today's email was
classified as junk in user0's Exchange box , and many (all) other users as
well, which is an easily reproducible bug.
I realize that the exact rules classifying spam cannot be made pubic
(otherwise the spammers would instantly know how to avoid them), but I hope
this scenario can be verified as a bug, and fixed in either a Outlook hotfix
or the next/future Outlook Junk E-mail filter. Otherwise, if the GAL
whitelist rule is no longer applicable, please change the Outlook help text
to reflect the change.

From: James Luo on
Does the junk mail filter into the Junk folder before you launch the
outlook? Please reproduce the issue, and then locate the junk mail via OWA
So, your exchange server doesn't install IMF, does the message pass any
other routing exchange server that installed the IMF before your mailbox
server?

Resources:
Where to install IMF (and other miscellaneous IMF explanations)...
http://blogs.technet.com/evand/archive/2004/05/31/145134.aspx
IMF and the Junk E-mail folder in Outlook
http://blogs.technet.com/evand/archive/2005/01/31/363935.aspx

From: Mltwwlco on
James, thank you for the reply and suggestions I will try them next
week. My answers are inline below.

"James Luo" <v-jaluo(a)microsoft> wrote in message
> Does the junk mail filter into the Junk folder before you launch the
> outlook? Please reproduce the issue, and then locate the junk mail via OWA

Excellent idea to test/confirm that the Outlook 2007 Junk Email filter is
causing the issue. If Outlook 2007 is not running on the mailbox and a
message is sent to that mailbox that is normally classified as junk, using
only OWA to view the mailbox and check the location of the message will
determine if Outlook 2007 and the April 2010 Junk Email Filter is the
culprit. If it is still in the Junk Email folder, then Exchange (or an
Exchange rule) is moving the message, otherwise Outlook is moving it.

> So, your exchange server doesn't install IMF, does the message pass any
> other routing exchange server that installed the IMF before your mailbox
> server?

No other routing exchange servers or SMTP servers are involved, this is the
message flow:
1. Web Server App writes email message as text file and places it into
the outgoing SMTP queue folder on the webserver
2. SMTP running on webserver sends message to Exchange server via SMTP
directly, note both servers are on the same local subnet