From: tb75252 on
I am using Outlook 2007 SP2 (Exchange Server). The OS is Windows XP Pro SP2.

Whenever I compose a message using the Plain Text format, Outlook 2007
ignores my tab spacing at the moment of printing a copy of my message. I can
see the tabbed text correctly on my screen, but when I print a copy of the
message the tab spaces are gone; this of course makes reading the message
hard to do! (The same problem happens at the recipient's end: They can see
the message ok on the screen but not when printing it.)

As far as I know, tab spacing should not be a problem in Plain Text mode; I
certainly do not have a problem like this if I print tabbed text using MS
Notepad!

Any idea of what is causing this?

(PS: Yes, the problem does not exist if I use the HTML or Rich Text
formats, but I sure would like to understand why it exists with Plain Text
format...)
From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on
"tb75252" <tb75252(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Whenever I compose a message using the Plain Text format, Outlook 2007
> ignores my tab spacing at the moment of printing a copy of my message. I
> can
> see the tabbed text correctly on my screen, but when I print a copy of the
> message the tab spaces are gone; this of course makes reading the message
> hard to do! (The same problem happens at the recipient's end: They can see
> the message ok on the screen but not when printing it.)
>
> As far as I know, tab spacing should not be a problem in Plain Text mode; I
> certainly do not have a problem like this if I print tabbed text using MS
> Notepad!

My guess is that the printer is choosing a variable pitch font when you print
the message.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

From: tb on
Thanks for your reply, Brian.

Being that I am not much of a computer expert, does anyone know how to check
if the printer is doing what Brian is talking about? If so, how do I
correct the problem?
I am using an HP LaserJet 4100 which is connected to the office network.

Thanks.
--
tb

From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on
"tb" <nospam(a)example.com> wrote in message

> Being that I am not much of a computer expert, does anyone know how to check
> if the printer is doing what Brian is talking about? If so, how do I
> correct the problem?
> I am using an HP LaserJet 4100 which is connected to the office network.

LaserJet 4100s contain a built-in web server. If you know the IP address of
the printer (and you should be able to find that in the Printers and Faxes
folder), open your web browser to http://xx.xx.xx.xx/, where "xx.xx.xx.xx" is
the IP address of the printer. You can examine all aspects of the printer
setup from there, including the default font it uses in the absence of any
font commands within the PCL it receives.

You should be able also to choose the font when you print. For example, if
you open the message you want to print, click File>Page Setup, then click Memo
Style, there will be a Font button there. Click Font and choose a fixed-pitch
font like Courier New. Click OK, then Print and your tabs should look as you
want.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]