From: bp1000 on

Hi,

I have client running Outlook 2007 on Windows 7, and he keeps getting
the following message when trying to expand folders in a PST file.

CANNOT EXPAND THE FOLDER. THE SET OF FOLDERS CANNOT BE OPENED. THE FILE
<FILENAME> IS IN USE AND CANNOT BE ACCESSED. CLOSE ANY APPLICATION THAT
IS USING THIS FILE, AND THEN TRY AGAIN. YOU MIGHT NEED TO RESTART YOUR
COMPUTER.

So to give more detail. He has 5 PST files (in OL2007 format) that are
opened each time he starts Outlook. The above message only occurs on a
specific PST. The message does not occur every time he tries to access
folders/items in this PST, but appears -randomly- (i.e. I cannot
identify if there is a pattern or reason/cause as to why/when it
occurs). This PST is his largest and was at 3.5GB. I have compacted and
moved folders to another PST to reduce the size to under 1GB (I wasn't
expecting this to resolve the problem as all PST are in OL2007 format,
and the only issue I expect to see is lesser performance as file size
increases).

I have run the Inbox Repair Tool on all PSTs with no change to the
issue.

The only possibility of another program opening his PST files is an
online backup program from Data Deposit Box. I don't believe this is the
problem for multiple reasons:

- This setup has run for months without any issue. There has been no
configuration changes.
- Online backup opens read-only
- Outlook starts up with the multiple PSTs open, so I expect it has
the file handles, access and permissions it needs and these wouldn't
change while running

I'm not sure what to try next. The only way to (temporarily) resolve
the issue when it occurs is to restart Outlook (until it occurs again).

Regards, Brendan

--
bp1000
http://forums.slipstick.com

From: wandong on
If you have problems with pst file, you can try a tool called Advanced Outlook Repair. You can download a free demo version at http://www.datanumen.com/aor/aor.exe . I think it is a useful repair tool for you. It is easy to recover your PST file by using its wizard. It is a powerful tool to recover messages, folders and other objects from corrupt or damaged Microsoft Outlook PST files.

Detailed information about Advanced Outlook Repair can be found at http://www.datanumen.com/aor/

Wangdong
.
Submitted using http://www.outlookforums.com