From: "H. Dederichs" Howie on
Hello NG,

I would like to read and write Outlook PST-Files with my VB.NET application
natively.
Is there anyone who can help me with this issue? Since PST-Files are "also"
Databases, aren't they?
Maybe there ist a way to do this with an Active Sync API if existing?
Hints with sample are highly appreciated.

B.T.W.
Is there an option to prevent the dialog which say that there is an
application trying to send mails with outlook? I know that the .NET
Frameworks contains a class which is able to send SMTP-Mails, but there not
appearing within Outlook.

Thanks
H. Dederichs

From: Mike C# on
Try Googling MAPI. Here's an example of a .NET wrapper for a MAPI class
originally written in C: http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/VBMAPIEx.asp

Here's another one with source code that might be helpful:
http://www.codeproject.com/cs/internet/simplemapidotnet.asp

From: Walter Wang [MSFT] on
Hi,

So far the outlook PST file format are only understood by Outlook.
Therefore you'll have to use Outlook Automation to access it. In VB.NET,
you can use COM interop to access Outlook Object Model:

Dim oApp As Application = New ApplicationClass
Dim oStore As MAPIFolder = Nothing
Dim oNS As NameSpace = oApp.GetNamespace("MAPI")
oNS.Logon("", "", True, True)
oApp.Session.AddStore("f:\data\temp.pst")
Dim oneStore As MAPIFolder
For Each oneStore In oNS.Folders
If (oneStore.Name.ToString Is "Personal Folders") Then
oStore = oneStore
Exit For
End If
Next

As for the security dialog, you can refer to following KB on how to
configure it:

#Administrator information about e-mail security features
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290499

However, you will need to work in Exchange Server environment to apply this
method.

Regarding .NET Framework 2.0 SMTP class, it's not using MAPI, so its sent
mail will not shown in outlook.

Sincerely,
Walter Wang (wawang(a)online.microsoft.com, remove 'online.')
Microsoft Online Community Support

promptly.

From: Leon Mayne on
"H. Dederichs" wrote:
> Is there an option to prevent the dialog which say that there is an
> application trying to send mails with outlook? I know that the .NET
> Frameworks contains a class which is able to send SMTP-Mails, but there not
> appearing within Outlook.

You could use Outlook Redemption:
http://www.dimastr.com/redemption/
From: "H. Dederichs" Howie on
Hallo Mike,

thank you for your hint. It was a good starting point.
I also found Outlook Redemption today which is also good for, esoecially
since it covers nearly the complet MAPI function.

Regards
Herbert Dederichs