From: TK on
I am the IT admin of the company and to edit the registry, you need to be
the admin of the PC.

Simple question, how can I add a PST to Outlook via editing the registry...?
I have over 100 PCs and I don't want to visit everyone PC yet again.

NOTE, I use the Newsgroups to learn things I don't know. Isn't that what it
is for...?

Tom...

From: Peter Foldes on
>I am the IT admin of the company and to edit the registry, you need to be the admin
>of the PC.

And you just proved my point

--
Peter

From: VanguardLH on
TK wrote:

> I am the IT admin of the company and to edit the registry, you need to be
> the admin of the PC.
>
> Simple question, how can I add a PST to Outlook via editing the registry...?
> I have over 100 PCs and I don't want to visit everyone PC yet again.

If you think a change occurs in the registry, use a registry monitor (e.g.,
SysInternals FileMon) or host state monitor (e.g., InstallWatch) to check
what changes were made to the registry before and after using the File ->
Open menu in Outlook to load the alternate .pst file. Then you'll know
which registry entry to export (you'll probably not need all the data items
under that registry key so edit the .reg file to remove all but the
necessary data items).

One option is to put the .reg file on a networked drive access via an URN
path (\\server\share). Then use domain policies to push a login script to
the workstations that does a silent install of the .reg file ("regedit.exe
/s <urn>"). Another option is to use a policy to push a login script that
runs reg.exe to update the registry (no separate .reg file needed).

Obviously unless the user logs in under an admin-level account, neither will
work. In a domain environment, it is unlikely that all or even a major
percentage of your workstations have users logging in under admin-level
accounts (i.e., the domain puts them in an admin group that gives those
users admin permissions on their own host, not anything to do with domain
admins). However, since policies get pushed to any account (I assume) then
using policies might work to push a new login script but I'm not sure
regedit.exe or reg.exe will be usable by that pushed login script. Also,
the login script would have to be self-destructive so it doesn't get run
again; else, it just continue re-running which reapplies the same registry
change each time - and that could interfere with the user who might decide
to move their message store to somewhere else, like to a local drive that
gets backed up in an enterprise backup scheme.

I'm not and never have been a domain admin and this really isn't an issue
with Outlook which is the topic discussed in this newgroup.

> NOTE, I use the Newsgroups to learn things I don't know. Isn't that what it
> is for...?

And that retort was generated for what cause?
From: TK on
Thank you VanruardLH

I see where you are going...

I am glad to see there are some friendly people on this news group...!

Tom...

From: VanguardLH on
TK wrote:

> I am glad to see there are some friendly people on this news group...!

You caught me on a good day.