From: rdoneganjr on
Hello, and I do have one question. I started outlook on my computer, I have
no problems with outlook itself. But when I am away from my home computer and
when I access my yahoo account there are no email there. Later went home and
all my emails are on outlook. How do I get my email to stay on yahoo and
outlook. And is there a ways to get those email from out look back on my
yahoo.com

V/r

Ray Donegan Jr.
From: Bishoop on

"rdoneganjr" <rdoneganjr(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello, and I do have one question. I started outlook on my computer, I
> have
> no problems with outlook itself. But when I am away from my home computer
> and
> when I access my yahoo account there are no email there. Later went home
> and
> all my emails are on outlook. How do I get my email to stay on yahoo and
> outlook. And is there a ways to get those email from out look back on my
> yahoo.com
>
> V/r
>
> Ray Donegan Jr.

Enter the following into the Outlook help:

leave email copy on server

From: VanguardLH on
rdoneganjr wrote:

> Hello, and I do have one question. I started outlook on my computer, I have
> no problems with outlook itself. But when I am away from my home computer and
> when I access my yahoo account there are no email there. Later went home and
> all my emails are on outlook. How do I get my email to stay on yahoo and
> outlook. And is there a ways to get those email from out look back on my
> yahoo.com
>
> V/r
>
> Ray Donegan Jr.

You never bothered to identify which e-mail protocol you are using to access
your mailbox. Could be POP, IMAP, Exchange, or HTTP/Deltasync. Each has a
different set of behaviors hence why they exist.

The default behavior of POP access is to retrieve (RETR) a message followed
by deleting (DELE) it. That is, your POP e-mail client will issue a RETR
command followed by a DELE command. After you retrieve an item, it won't be
in your mailbox anymore. You need to change the default POP behavior in
your e-mail client. In the e-mail account that you define in Outlook,
configure it to "leave messages on server". That eliminates the DELE
command after doing a RETR.

Your e-mail client keeps track of what are new and old items. Actually it
only tracks what are the old items (by their Message-ID) and any other items
found in your mailbox are considered new and get retrieved whereupon they
become tracked and old items. Because you are now leaving all messages in
your mailbox, eventually your mailbox will fill up with old messages that
you left there. After consuming all the disk quota for your account, no
more new e-mails can be received because there is no more disk space to
store them. You will have clean out your mailbox to free up some disk
space. You can either do the cleanup by using the webmail interface to your
e-mail account and manually perform the cleanup by deleting items (and
possibly purging the Deleted folder if your provider includes those items in
your disk quota) or you can enable the "delete items N days after received"
option in Outlook to have it periodically clean out the old items. If you
set this option to, say, 30 days then you have a month of old items that can
be seen as new items by a different e-mail client and retrieve them there.

Obviously you have to enable the "leave messages on server" for EVERY e-mail
client that access that same e-mail account. If any one of them do not have
this option enabled, it will do the RETR followed by a DELE which means
those items that it retrieved won't be there anymore for any other e-mail
client to find. The same for the "delete N days after received" option
which should be enabled in every e-mail client you use to access the same
mailbox (and the cleanup period should also be the same value in each e-mail
client).
From: Gordon on

"VanguardLH" <V(a)nguard.LH> wrote in message

> You never bothered to identify which e-mail protocol you are using to
> access
> your mailbox. Could be POP, IMAP, Exchange, or HTTP/Deltasync. Each has
> different set of behaviors hence why they exist.

Yahoo only does POP AFAIK....

From: Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] on
On the advanced tab of your Outlook Account properties, check the box to
leave a copy on the server. You can also set other options for if/when you
want items deleted from the server.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

ALWAYS post your Outlook version.

After furious head scratching, rdoneganjr asked: