From: Keith B on
Hi,
I have an SBS2k3 setup without ISA, I've recently inherted two mobile sales
guys, who work remotely. They both get their mail by using outlook over http,
this works perfectly when they are out and about. However once a week they
come into the office with their laptops and they want to use the wifi in the
office. When they connect to the router they are assigned an IP address ikn
from the 192.168.1.xx range from the router, and outlook can't connect to the
server which is on 192.18.16.2. I don't want them to be part of the SBS
domain as they don't need to be, they only only come in for an hour a week.
What am I missing here?
Thanks in advance
Keith
From: kevinp on
I have basically the same setup on my laptop. I've set Outlook to
connect with HTTP and it always asks for a password when I start
Outlook. So, it always connects whenever I have an internet connection
no matter where I am--in the office or out.
The question I guess is how you've set up Outlook on their laptops.
I'm assuming you already have OWA set up and working.

Go through these steps to set up Outlook:
http://www.tmc-act.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=33&Itemid=43

From: Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP] on
Hi Keith:

Everything below is a educated (barely) guess. <g>

It doesn't work because their is no path from inside the router to the SBS.
Port forward is applied to the external ip/wan interface of the router.
Look at your router and see if there are any optional networks or any way
to redirect traffic from the wireless side to the SBS ip or the internal
wired inteface of the router.

In the admin app for the router you may find a place to add route that will
allow you to pass traffic from the wireless side to the wired side.

Or, my next thought is to plug them into a wall jack on the SBS network and
let them get ip from the SBS.

Haven't tried such myself, and depending on how your SBS is setup, when plugged
into a wall jack those lappys may not be able to get to the internet. If
you are using the classic SBS two nic setup, and depending on where you are
in moving to SBS 2008, you may consider removing the SBS second nic and puting
all the devices on the same network with the router/firewall at the edge.
This is the required setup for SBS 2008 anyway, and should solve either
the Outlook Anywhere or the browse from the internal LAN when not joined
to the SBS issues.

-Larry

-Please post the resolution to your issue so others may benefit.

-Get Your SBS Health Check at www.sbsbpa.com