From: Terry on
My 2003 Outlook all of a sudden wants to open Word for its editor. Then is
says Word cannot be found or is the wrong version.

My Word is Office 2003 and works fine.

For the past several years Word has not been my editor. Under options, Word
is NOT checked.

So I would like to figure out why Word wants to start and how to fix it.

From: VanguardLH on
Terry wrote:

> My 2003 Outlook all of a sudden wants to open Word for its editor. Then is
> says Word cannot be found or is the wrong version.
>
> My Word is Office 2003 and works fine.
>
> For the past several years Word has not been my editor. Under options, Word
> is NOT checked.
>
> So I would like to figure out why Word wants to start and how to fix it.

When you load Word, what version does it report under Help?
From: VanguardLH on
VanguardLH wrote:

> Terry wrote:
>
>> My 2003 Outlook all of a sudden wants to open Word for its editor. Then is
>> says Word cannot be found or is the wrong version.
>>
>> My Word is Office 2003 and works fine.
>>
>> For the past several years Word has not been my editor. Under options, Word
>> is NOT checked.
>>
>> So I would like to figure out why Word wants to start and how to fix it.
>
> When you load Word, what version does it report under Help?

Oops, I read that wrong. You said that you do NOT want to use Word as your
new-mail editor but are stuck using it anyway. I could that happening in
Outlook 2007 which forces you to use Word (there is no choice).

Have you tried Help -> Detect and Repair? Have the install CD ready.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906307
Make sure Outlook is not loading in its safe mode. Look at the properties
of the shortcut that you are using to load Outlook.

Actually you might want to start Outlook in its safe mode to make sure some
add-on isn't causing the problem.

There are 2 options regarding use of Word by Outlook:

- Use Microsoft Office Word 2003 to edit e-mail messages.
- Use Microsoft Office Word 2003 to read Rich Text e-mail messages.

Make sure it is the first one that you cannot deselect.

Was Outlook 2003 installed as a standalone product (and Office 2003
installed later but Outlook deselected in an custom install)? That would
bar some integration features between the standalone OL2003 and Word2003.
Then maybe someone re-ran the install or modified the install of Office 2003
by electing to include Office 2003 which would allow the integration
features.

Have you checked the option was disabled and actually exited and reloaded
Outlook since then?

Are you using Office 2003 (with its Outlook 2003) in a home environment or
at work on a corporate network where the IT admins may be pushing policies
that affect the configuration of Office components?
From: Terry on
Thanks for the suggestions:

I have not tried Detect adn Repair but will (probably Monday)

Outlook is NOT running is safe mode.

Outlook was installed as part of Office 2003 about 5 years ago NOT a custom
install, nothing modified. EXCEPT we just exported all outlook data JUST
before noticing this problem.

We are in a Home (2 PC workgroup).

I will post what happens after running Detect and Repair probably tomorrow
night.

From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on
"Terry" <Terry(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Outlook was installed as part of Office 2003 about 5 years ago NOT a custom
> install, nothing modified. EXCEPT we just exported all outlook data JUST
> before noticing this problem.

Why would you do this, may I ask?
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]