From: Arno on
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Sergey Kubushyn <ksi(a)koi8.net> wrote:
> In sci.electronics.repair Arno <me(a)privacy.net> wrote:
>> In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Sergey Kubushyn <ksi(a)koi8.net> wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>>> I know but I simply didn't think all 3 drives can fail... I thought I have
>>> enough redundancy because I put not 2 but 3 drives in that RAID1... And I
>>> did have something like a test with regular weekly full backup that reads
>>> all the files (not the entire disk media but at least all the files on it)
>>> and that was that backup that triggered disk suicide.
>>
>>> Anyway lesson learned and I'm taking additional measures now. It was not a
>>> very good experience loosing some of my work...
>>
>> Yes, I can imagine. I have my critical stuff also on a 3 way RAID1,
>> but with long SMART selftests every 2 weeks and 3 different drives,
>> two from WD and one from Samsung. One additional advantage of the
>> long SMART selftest is that with smartd you will get a warning
>> email on every failing test, i.e. one every two weeks. For additional
>> warning you can also run a daily short test, e.g..

> No matter what you do you can not prevent an occasional disaster :( One
> MUST remember that "backup" in not a noun but a verb in imperative.

Indeed.

>>> BTW, I took a look at brand new WDC WD5000YS-01MPB1 drives, right out of the
>>> sealed bags with silica gel and all 4 of those had their contacts already
>>> oxidized with a lot of black stuff. That makes me very suspicious that
>>> conspiracy theory might be not all that crazy--that oxidation seems to be
>>> pre-applied by the manufacturer.
>>
>> Urgh. These bags are airtight. No way the problem happened on your
>> side then. My two weeks old WD5000AADS-00S9B0 looks fine on the top
>> of the PCB. I think I will have a look underneath later.

> Those 4 were fine on the top of PCB. Black stuff was underneath, on those
> pads contacting with springy heads pins.

Mine is fine on both sides. However there is a quite a bit of contact
area that looks and feels silver-plated to me, most notably areound
the screws and on the bottom the contacts to the head assembly.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno(a)wagner.name
----
From: Sergey Kubushyn on
In sci.electronics.repair Arno <me(a)privacy.net> wrote:
> In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Sergey Kubushyn <ksi(a)koi8.net> wrote:
>> In sci.electronics.repair Arno <me(a)privacy.net> wrote:
>>> In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Sergey Kubushyn <ksi(a)koi8.net> wrote:
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Yes, I can imagine. I have my critical stuff also on a 3 way RAID1,
>>> but with long SMART selftests every 2 weeks and 3 different drives,
>>> two from WD and one from Samsung. One additional advantage of the
>>> long SMART selftest is that with smartd you will get a warning
>>> email on every failing test, i.e. one every two weeks. For additional
>>> warning you can also run a daily short test, e.g..
>
>> No matter what you do you can not prevent an occasional disaster :( One
>> MUST remember that "backup" in not a noun but a verb in imperative.
>
> Indeed.

>>> Urgh. These bags are airtight. No way the problem happened on your
>>> side then. My two weeks old WD5000AADS-00S9B0 looks fine on the top
>>> of the PCB. I think I will have a look underneath later.
>
>> Those 4 were fine on the top of PCB. Black stuff was underneath, on those
>> pads contacting with springy heads pins.
>
> Mine is fine on both sides. However there is a quite a bit of contact
> area that looks and feels silver-plated to me, most notably areound
> the screws and on the bottom the contacts to the head assembly.

That makes me wonder why are they silver-plated. It is definitely not the
best material longevitywise, especially for such low-level signals. It makes
me even more suspicious and adds to the conspiracy theory.

---
* KSI(a)home KOI8 Net < > The impossible we do immediately. *
* Las Vegas NV, USA < > Miracles require 24-hour notice. *
From: Arno on
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Sergey Kubushyn <ksi(a)koi8.net> wrote:
> In sci.electronics.repair Arno <me(a)privacy.net> wrote:
[...]
>>> Those 4 were fine on the top of PCB. Black stuff was underneath, on those
>>> pads contacting with springy heads pins.
>>
>> Mine is fine on both sides. However there is a quite a bit of contact
>> area that looks and feels silver-plated to me, most notably areound
>> the screws and on the bottom the contacts to the head assembly.

> That makes me wonder why are they silver-plated. It is definitely
> not the best material longevitywise, especially for such low-level
> signals. It makes me even more suspicious and adds to the conspiracy
> theory.

Well, maybe. However I tend to think that "never attribute to
malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity" may apply.

These contacts should be gold plated with high quality gold. It is
also possible that the HDD vibration (always present with a running
HDD) and thermal variation allows the process to creep between the
contacts and kill them. Maybe a young, inexperienced engineer was
hired to replace an older, experienced (but more expensive one)
and that person made a pretty bad judgement call due to
inexperience, wanting to save a few cents on the design.

I have to say that the last time I saw silver plating as contact
protection was in vaccuum tube equipment. Modern electronics
typically uses Gold, or Tin for low insertion cycle contacts.

I also found a statement on Wikipaedia that silver plated
copper, once the copper is exposed in a place, will rapidly
corrode all over because of some electro-chemical process.
No idea whether this is true or not.

Arno
From: Rod Speed on
Sergey Kubushyn wrote:
> In sci.electronics.repair Arno <me(a)privacy.net> wrote:
>> In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Sergey Kubushyn <ksi(a)koi8.net>
>> wrote:

>>> No matter what you do you can not prevent an occasional disaster :(
>>> One MUST remember that "backup" in not a noun but a verb in
>>> imperative.
>>
>> Indeed.

>>> Those 4 were fine on the top of PCB. Black stuff was underneath, on
>>> those pads contacting with springy heads pins.
>>
>> Mine is fine on both sides. However there is a quite a bit of contact
>> area that looks and feels silver-plated to me, most notably areound
>> the screws and on the bottom the contacts to the head assembly.

> That makes me wonder why are they silver-plated. It is definitely not
> the best material longevitywise, especially for such low-level signals.

Likely just some fool's reaction to the price of gold.

> It makes me even more suspicious and adds to the conspiracy theory.

Nope.

From: Sjouke Burry on
Sergey Kubushyn wrote:
> In sci.electronics.repair Arno <me(a)privacy.net> wrote:
>>> No matter what you do you can not prevent an occasional disaster :( One
>>> MUST remember that "backup" in not a noun but a verb in imperative.
>> Indeed.

>>> Those 4 were fine on the top of PCB. Black stuff was underneath, on those
>>> pads contacting with springy heads pins.
>> Mine is fine on both sides. However there is a quite a bit of contact
>> area that looks and feels silver-plated to me, most notably areound
>> the screws and on the bottom the contacts to the head assembly.
>
> That makes me wonder why are they silver-plated. It is definitely not the
> best material longevitywise, especially for such low-level signals. It makes
> me even more suspicious and adds to the conspiracy theory.
>
> ---
> * KSI(a)home KOI8 Net < > The impossible we do immediately. *
> * Las Vegas NV, USA < > Miracles require 24-hour notice. *

You know of course that the black silver layer is still conductive
for low level signals??