From: me on
I have xp x64 installed and want to run repair from the windows cd. I have
set the dvd as first boot device and the HD as the second. It does not
check the dvd at boot nor does it try to boot from it. Can someone please
help? Thank you.

--
-
From: Paul on
me(a)here.com wrote:
> I have xp x64 installed and want to run repair from the windows cd. I have
> set the dvd as first boot device and the HD as the second. It does not
> check the dvd at boot nor does it try to boot from it. Can someone please
> help? Thank you.

OK, work on the DVD alone. Disconnect the hard drive. See if the
computer can work with the DVD, with no distractions.

Also, take a careful look at all the stuff you've plugged into the
computer. Inspect all the USB devices you're using. Disconnect
everything except your keyboard and mouse (if they're USB). It
could be a USB item of some sort, is interfering. For example,
some printers have a storage chip and provision for printing pictures
from a flash device plugged into the printer. Even something
innocent like that, could interfere with booting. Unplug the
printer and try again.

Once you're down to just the DVD, now you'll be able to work
on whether it is detected or not. Enter the BIOS (press Del or
whatever the key is to get into the BIOS setup screens).
Go to the page that displays the connected storage devices.
Is the DVD detected there ? Does the name show up ? On some
motherboards, the IDE controller doesn't show up in the setup
screen, so instead, you have to watch the "detection" messages
as the system is attempting to boot, to see if the name of the
drive shows up. For example, right now, I have a Jmicron controller
running my DVD, and during boot, a separate screen flashes by.
In green text letters, the name of my IDE DVD drive is shown.
And that proves it has been detected. That tells you the computer
and DVD controller board, see one another.

You didn't mention if the DVD was IDE or SATA. With IDE, you
could have a master/slave/cable_select jumper issue. If there
is only one storage device on an IDE cable, it goes on the end
connector, not the middle one. With IDE, "fill from the end first".
SATA is relatively bullet proof, by comparison.

Also, flip through a PDF copy of your user manual (downloadable
from support.asus.com.tw), and see if there are any restrictions
on storage devices. I find a PDF copy, easier to read than
the paper copy they put in the motherboard box.

HTH,
Paul
From: me on
Thanks alot Paul! It is working now.