From: Barry Watzman on
You didn't specify the CPU. But, typically, the CPU would create a lot
more heat than a card like that.

The amount of heat generated by the video card would not vary much at
all based on the amount of memory, however.

There is some variation in heat generation depending on what the card is
doing, it's significant but the card still generates considerable heat
while not doing much actual processing.

From: Paul on
Barry Watzman wrote:
> You didn't specify the CPU. But, typically, the CPU would create a lot
> more heat than a card like that.
>
> The amount of heat generated by the video card would not vary much at
> all based on the amount of memory, however.
>
> There is some variation in heat generation depending on what the card is
> doing, it's significant but the card still generates considerable heat
> while not doing much actual processing.

I'd agree with that. Memory size shouldn't affect power consumption
that strongly.

I used to use a 9800 Pro with 128MB of RAM, and the auxiliary power
connector current draw was:

12V @ 0.14A + 5V @ 3.13A Desktop idle
12V @ 0.77A + 5V @ 5.5A Running 3DMark2001SE benchmark. Power varies with
time, so this is only approximate.

There would also be some 3.3V current flowing through the AGP slot,
but I'm not equipped to measure it.

So the power goes up a little, when doing 3D.

On my card, an inductor used to get hot, when 3D gaming. I placed
an extra fan next to the video card, to ensure the temperature came
down on that part. I used the 9800 Pro for years. Just before retiring
it, the Molex connector burned. So if there is 5.5A flowing, and the
Aux connector isn't making good contact, it can burn the pins. Repairing
it was a PITA, but I did it so the card would run for another week, before
the PCI Express replacement arrived. I soldered a power wire, right to the
card, to fix it. I didn't have a replacement connector, to do it right.

Paul

From: Bruce. on
"me" <noemail(a)nothere.com> wrote in message
> ... with a video card like the ATI Radeon 9800:
>
> 1. Does the CPU generate most of the heat? Would there be much of a
> difference in the card's heat output between the card with 128mb and
> the same card with 256mb?
> 2. Will the heat output of the card be significantly less if it is
> sitting idle with the monitor on screen saver or maybe just generating
> plain windows graphics for limited use vs. doing 3d game type work?

In my case, there is no contest. I have a 8800 GT that is notorious for
running hot. My GPU idles at 74C and goes past 90C when running a 3D
benchmark, so it produces much more heat under 3D load than 2D. In all
cases it is too hot to touch.

Bruce.