From: antioch on

> From: "Antioch" <myotherside(a)elsewhere.com>
>

> | As above - waiting for info from the Seagate/Maxtor as to appropriate
> tool
> | with which to diagnose.
>
> SeaGate -- SeaTools
>
> Generate a CDROM from their ISO image and boot from it and check your
> disk.
>
> --
> Dave
> Multi-AV - http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Hi all
At last I got a reply from Seagate and they suggested diagnostic tools for
Windows and Dos and both gave a clean bill of health.
The forums, however had a different attitude to these tools saying that for
the most part they were a waste of time - as did a couple of other forums.
I have used HDDScan 3.2 for a couple of days now and the worst, that it
reported, is an UltraDMA CRC Error - Google searching has differing opinions
as to a hardrive failure or missing bits of Windows.
For the moment, as the jury still seem to out on who/what is 'guilty' I did
pick up a little tip which seems to be working - once you have managed to
get into Windows and the desktop, which has not been impossible with trial
and error in Rec Console, before you switch/turn off the computer, set
chkdsk to initiate with the command chkdsk /r.
It takes a bit of time when you switch on next, or course, to open into
desktop, but it is getting quicker - less and less activity is happening in
the 5 stages.

Well, this ng seems to still be running, so it gives me a chance to say
thanks to all over the last 10 years who have helped and taught me so much.
I hope to [hope not to have to] be in contact again if I can either using
the 'connect' or another NSP.

Rgds
Antioch

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "antioch" <antioch(a)home.com>

| Hi all
| At last I got a reply from Seagate and they suggested diagnostic tools for
| Windows and Dos and both gave a clean bill of health.
| The forums, however had a different attitude to these tools saying that for
| the most part they were a waste of time - as did a couple of other forums.
| I have used HDDScan 3.2 for a couple of days now and the worst, that it
| reported, is an UltraDMA CRC Error - Google searching has differing opinions
| as to a hardrive failure or missing bits of Windows.
| For the moment, as the jury still seem to out on who/what is 'guilty' I did
| pick up a little tip which seems to be working - once you have managed to
| get into Windows and the desktop, which has not been impossible with trial
| and error in Rec Console, before you switch/turn off the computer, set
| chkdsk to initiate with the command chkdsk /r.
| It takes a bit of time when you switch on next, or course, to open into
| desktop, but it is getting quicker - less and less activity is happening in
| the 5 stages.

| Well, this ng seems to still be running, so it gives me a chance to say
| thanks to all over the last 10 years who have helped and taught me so much.
| I hope to [hope not to have to] be in contact again if I can either using
| the 'connect' or another NSP.

| Rgds
| Antioch

I'll take a manufacturer's diagnostic over a generic any day !

--
Dave

From: antioch on

> From: "antioch" <antioch(a)home.com>
>

> | Hi all
> | At last I got a reply from Seagate and they suggested diagnostic tools
> for
> | Windows and Dos and both gave a clean bill of health.
> | The forums, however had a different attitude to these tools saying that
> for
> | the most part they were a waste of time - as did a couple of other
> forums.
> | I have used HDDScan 3.2 for a couple of days now and the worst, that it
> | reported, is an UltraDMA CRC Error - Google searching has differing
> opinions
> | as to a hardrive failure or missing bits of Windows.
> | For the moment, as the jury still seem to out on who/what is 'guilty' I
> did
> | pick up a little tip which seems to be working - once you have managed
> | get into Windows and the desktop, which has not been impossible with
> trial
> | and error in Rec Console, before you switch/turn off the computer, set
> | chkdsk to initiate with the command chkdsk /r.
> | It takes a bit of time when you switch on next, or course, to open into
> | desktop, but it is getting quicker - less and less activity is happening
> in
> | the 5 stages.
>
> | Well, this ng seems to still be running, so it gives me a chance to say
> | thanks to all over the last 10 years who have helped and taught me so
> much.
> | I hope to [hope not to have to] be in contact again if I can either
> using
> | the 'connect' or another NSP.
>
> | Rgds
> | Antioch
>

> I'll take a manufacturer's diagnostic over a generic any day !
>

> --
> Dave
> Multi-AV - http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

I would have thought that a manufacturer has a proprietary interest in NOT
finding their hardware at fault - that appears to be a feeling in a couple
of forums.
I have been running another diagnostic[HardDisc Sentinal], with a bit more
detail than the others and as the evening has progressed so it has popped up
with errors as I have performed certain functions on the computer. It
started all OK but has since shown various small problems.
So. as I have been told, the HDD is apparently on its way out.
Must keep backup going etc until I get a new one.

Antioch