From: Craig T on
I have an old PC, it's an AMD 2400+ running Windows XP HE SP2.

Everything was fine until today, when suddenly the mouse froze and the PC
crashed. I rebooted it with the restart button, but after loading Windows,
the same thing happened. I've tried loading safe mode, with and without
networking, but to no avail - I can't do anything because the cursor is
frozen. (I have tried another mouse and it's no different, also another USB
port).

Does anyone know what the problem could be, and how I can overcome this,
please? I have Googled the problem, but can only find solutions where the
mouse is functional.

With thanks.

From: Daave on
Craig T wrote:
> I have an old PC, it's an AMD 2400+ running Windows XP HE SP2.
>
> Everything was fine until today, when suddenly the mouse froze and
> the PC crashed. I rebooted it with the restart button, but after
> mode, with and without networking, but to no avail - I can't do
> anything because the cursor is frozen. (I have tried another mouse
> and it's no different, also another USB port).
>
> Does anyone know what the problem could be, and how I can overcome
> this, please? I have Googled the problem, but can only find
> solutions where the mouse is functional.
>
> With thanks.

You say this is an old PC. If it has the correct port, try a PS/2 mouse
and see if it works then.

What is the malware status of your PC?

You can try a Live Linux CD like Knoppix or Ubuntu to see if your mouse
works. This will tell you if your problem is Windows-related or not.

What is the make an model of your PC? Do you have access to a Windows XP
installation CD?

From: Craig T on

"Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote in message
> Craig T wrote:
>> I have an old PC, it's an AMD 2400+ running Windows XP HE SP2.
>>
>> Everything was fine until today, when suddenly the mouse froze and
>> the PC crashed. I rebooted it with the restart button, but after
>> mode, with and without networking, but to no avail - I can't do
>> anything because the cursor is frozen. (I have tried another mouse
>> and it's no different, also another USB port).
>>
>> Does anyone know what the problem could be, and how I can overcome
>> this, please? I have Googled the problem, but can only find
>> solutions where the mouse is functional.
>>
>> With thanks.
>
> You say this is an old PC. If it has the correct port, try a PS/2 mouse
> and see if it works then.

Hello Daave,
I'm afraid I don't have a PS/2 mouse anymore... I'll have to see if I have
an adaptor somewhere in the house.

What is the malware status of your PC?
I use Avast antiVirus and MBAM, the machine has been scanned recently, and
the results came back clean.

> You can try a Live Linux CD like Knoppix or Ubuntu to see if your mouse
> works. This will tell you if your problem is Windows-related or not.
Where can I obtain one, and what do I do with it?

> What is the make an model of your PC? Do you have access to a Windows XP
> installation CD? My PC was privately made about 6 years ago, and this is
> the first time this has happened. I have the original XP disc, yes. I
> really don't want to lose any data if at all possible.

Thank you.

From: Daave on
Craig T wrote:
> "Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote in message

>> You can try a Live Linux CD like Knoppix or Ubuntu to see if your
>> mouse works. This will tell you if your problem is Windows-related
>> or not.

> Where can I obtain one, and what do I do with it?

Knoppix:

You can purchase one or make your own. I see on Ebay there is a seller
with 246 feedbacks, all 100%. He is selling it for 99 cents plus $3.99
shipping.

Or you can make your own. You need access to a working PC and CD burner
(and blank CDRs). You can go here:

http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

Then click on the Download button for a choice of locations to download
the .iso file from. Example:

http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/download.php?lang=en&link=http://www.kernel.org/pub/dist/knoppix/

Clicking on Accept takes you here:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/dist/knoppix/

This is the one you want:

KNOPPIX-ADRIANE_V6.2CD-2009-11-18-EN.iso

Save this .iso file to a directory on a good PC. You will then need to
use a program to burn a CD from it. I like this one:

http://www.imgburn.com/

(By the way, with this and all other Web pages, ignore all the ads!)

BTW, here is a direct download link:

http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

This is the name of the installation file:

ImgBurn_2.5.0.0.exe

Install it. Run it. Point to the .iso file you downloaded. Pick your
destination drive (the CD burner). The finished product will be a
*bootable* CD.

In order to boot off the CD, you will need to change your PC's BIOS so
it boots off the CD first (usually, the hard drive is the first choice).
In order to access the BIOS, see this page:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

The process for Ubuntu is similar. Just Google these terms:

live
ubuntu
cd

I'm sure you can find a reputable seller on Ebay for this one, too.

Once you boot into the Linux environment, you can see if your mouse
works. If it does, then you know you have a Windows issue. An added
bonus of doing this is you can now safely copy all your important data
if you haven't done so yet to an external hard drive.

From: Daave on
Craig T wrote:
> "Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote in message

>> What is the make an model of your PC? Do you have access to a
>> Windows XP installation CD?

> My PC was privately made about 6 years ago, and this is the first
> time this has happened. I have the original XP disc, yes. I really
> don't want to lose any data if at all possible.

This is good. You may need to use this CD for one of the following:

1. Recovery Console
2. Repair Install
3. Clean Install

But before you do the above, try PS/2 mouse first. And booting off a
Live Linux CD will let you know if your problem is Windows-related or
not. And hopefully you will have the opportunity to make ure all your
data is safely copied!

If you can't use the Linux CD (assuming it's a good CD), you have
hardware issues and have to address them:

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Hardware_Tshoot

If it turns out your Windows system is riddled with malware, this guide
should help:

If the above is too daunting, simply find a tech who can fix this for
you. Avoid all the chain stores and find someone local and qualified!

If hardware is fine and you are malware-free, the following may be your
solution:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

(and the above method uses the Recovery Console from your CD)

Also, sometimes all that is necessary in a non-bootable situation is to
clear the CMOS:

http://www.cybertechhelp.com/tutorial/article/clear-the-cmos

(you might as well try clearing the CMOS *first*)

Otherwise, a Repair Install might be needed:

(This can be tricky, though, depending on Service Pack level of XP and
IE version, among other things.)

Last resort (assuming hardware is fine) is a Clean Install (once all
your data is safely copied):