From: teafinger1986 on
I setup an XP Pro machine on which virtual pc is installed. Within
virtual pc, I have installed Vista Premium.

My network connection works fine.

However, the moment I startup the virtual pc/vista premium OS, I lose
my network connection and can not access the internet on either the XP
or virtual vista pc.

The only way to restart the internet connection on the XP pc is by
rebooting my terminal. The only time I lose my network connection is
when I start virtual pc...otherwise my network/internet connection is
fine.

How can I enable my internet connection on both the XP and Vista OS
when I start virtual pc. I just downloaded virtual pc today(Microsoft
Virtual PC 6.0.156.0)
From: Colin Barnhorst on
Please be aware that the EULA for Vista Home Basic and Home Premium forbids
their virtualization. Only Vista Business and Ultimate are legal to be used
in virtual machines. I don't agree with this zinger from MS Marketing, but
that's how it is.

From: teafinger1986 on
On Jan 12, 5:55 am, "Colin Barnhorst" <c.barnho...(a)comcast.net> wrote:
> Please be aware that the EULA for Vista Home Basic and Home Premium forbids
> their virtualization.  Only Vista Business and Ultimate are legal to be used
> in virtual machines.  I don't agree with this zinger from MS Marketing, but
> that's how it is.
>
> <teafinger1...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> >I setup an XP Pro machine on which virtual pc is installed.  Within
> > virtual pc, I have installed Vista Premium.
>
> > My network connection works fine.
>
> > However, the moment I startup the virtual pc/vista premium OS, I lose
> > my network connection and can not access the internet on either the XP
> > or virtual vista pc.
>
> > The only way to restart the internet connection on the XP pc is by
> > rebooting my terminal.  The only time I lose my network connection is
> > when I start virtual pc...otherwise my network/internet connection is
> > fine.
>
> > How can I enable my internet connection on both the XP and Vista OS
> > when I start virtual pc.  I just downloaded virtual pc today(Microsoft
> > Virtual PC 6.0.156.0)- Hide quoted text -

Thank you, I wasn't aware of that.

I actually have the ultimate edition, had this problem and to try and
troubleshoot, tried the home edition. So really, it doesn't matter
what version is loaded, I keep losing network on both the host and
guest once I run Vista in Virtual PC.

Are there any fixes for this issue?
From: Colin Barnhorst on
The expected result of installing Vista in a virtual machine is that the
guest connects to the internet immediately and the host's connection is
unaffected. The default condition is that the emulated NIC in the guest is
mapped to an NIC in the host. You can select which host NIC to use from the
dropdown list available when you select Networking under the virtual
machine's Settings. Some users of wireless adaptors do experience issues
connecting a guest to the internet but if the host is using an ehternet
connection then the default settings in the guest should just work.

At this point you need to supply specifics of the setup you have, including
the host NIC, method of connecting the host to the internet, and what
changes you have made (if any) to the virtual machine's Settings since
installation.

From: Bill Grant on
The most likely cause is that the NIC driver on the host machine does not
like working with Virtual Machine Network Services. VMNS works with the NIC
driver on the host to provide networking to the guest OS.

You could check to see if there is an updated XP driver for your NIC.
What you are trying to do should just work. It works fine on my machine.
(Dell Dimension with XP Pro SP2)

To avoid the problem altogether you can install a Microsoft Network
Adapter in the host and use that as the basis for virtual networking. You
can then clear the checkbox for VMNS in the host machine's network
properties and it will not be used for virtual networking. The guest
machine's NIC links to the MLA, not the host's NIC. If you want to give the
guest machine Internet access you can install ICS on the host to share its
Internet connection.