From: GG on
Hello!
So in the end LDAP has been converted with the provided conversion
script and is not a problem anymore.

For reference, we said we needed net getlocalsid but I found that also
smbpasswd -X DomainName or -S DomainName outputs the domainsid :-)
(for some reason I have no net command albeit having smbclient
installed)

Now migrating samba is a big issue to me.

So samba authenticates on /etc/samba/smbpasswd and not on LDAP as I thought....

The admin creates a LDAP user, then via webmin converts users from
unix to samba and then ssh changes smbpasswd UserName.

Silly, isn't it?

But smbpasswd database receives converted account from ldap, not unix
as /etc/passwd does not have a newly added user, it mainly keeps
computeraccounts$ with $ at the end.

So we migrated the whole thing to a 3.5.3 telling it to use a switch
for compatibility with old smbpasswd file.

It did work as \\server\shares but not quite for domain logon for non
cached passwords...
I believe nmb had not been stopped... anyway

We went for a new virtual machine with the ancient Suse 8.2 with same
rpm -qa| samba ldap versions and copied /etc/samba and /etc/openldap
/etc/passwd+shadow and /var/lib/ldap. Should I also have taken
/var/lib/samba???

Computers do not logon but can be added to the domain and nblookup
resolves the DomainName to the DC...

Had to revert to the old physical server...

What else should I consider?

After migrating the old services to a new server (the old one is on
its final months...) I would like to change the authentication to LDAP
backend directly, is this possible or does it nees smbpasswd?

Cheers,
Giorgio

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 11:54 AM, Vladimir Psenicka
<vladimir.psenicka(a)prodeco.cz> wrote:
> I found this document to upgrade from samba 2 schema to 3:
> http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/upgrading-to-3.0.html,
> search "New Schema". Script is in /usr/share/doc/samba-doc/examples/LDAP/
> on Ubuntu.
>
> On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 21:32:19 +0200, Giorgio Gallo <giorgiogallo(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Hi Vladimir!
>>
>> Ok for changing into sambaSamAccount but what about the sambaSID?
>> It appears to be required!
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Giorgio

>>> sambaLMPassword = this should be like on LDAP any info?
>>> sambaNTPassword = this should be like on LDAP any info?
>>> sambaAcctFlags =