From: Andrew Marinchuk on
Dear Samba team,

We have developed cross-platform multiprotocol intranet file searcher
and it includes the module (SMB scanner for *nix) which uses
libsmbclient to enumerate all files on smb shares ("uses" means
including headers and linking with library). Other modules also use some
external libraries, but all other libraries have LGPL license.
We prefer to publish our searcher's code under BSD license, but
GPL-license of libsmbclient forces us to use GPL. According to our local
laws, such GPL requirements are invalid, also we don't see why client
library does not use LGPL, however if libsmbclient license will never be
licensed under LGPL, we will use double licensing scheme (although this
is not what we want).

Are there a chance that libsmbclient will be licensed under LGPL? Or
could someone give use permission to link libsmbclient with BSD code?
Thanks in advance!

With Best Regards,
Amdrew Marinchuk