From: "Stefan Neufeind, PEAR" on
The current standing "problem" is that it turned out that font-sizes are
differnent for e.g. SVG and GD2. Digging into that it turned out that
several other problems exist with SVG-output (or GD2, depends on the
point of view). Since I already started to try to fix those things in
trunk, but without breaking others, imho that needs to be fixed first.

If Martin might be able to help here, that would be awesome.

Kind regards,

From: =?UTF-8?B?TWFydMOtbiBNYXJxdcOpcw==?= on
All this is being tested in a development server, so I can do testing
of Image_Graph.

But this would only solve the problem with THIS package, and not with
all the others.

Why is it such a big concern about breaking PHP4 compatibility, if
PHP4 is deprecated?

From: Michael Gauthier on
On Tue, 2010-03-16 at 15:41 -0300, Martín Marqués wrote:
> All this is being tested in a development server, so I can do testing
> of Image_Graph.
>

> But this would only solve the problem with THIS package, and not with
> all the others.
>

> Why is it such a big concern about breaking PHP4 compatibility, if
> PHP4 is deprecated?

It's not a big concern to me, but I expect those who are running legacy
systems and relying on PHP4 compatibility being maintained would be
concerned.

That said, if it is possible to maintain API backwards-compatibility
while still dropping PHP4 support, I would not have a problem with it.
The package.xml would just be updated to increase the required PHP
version for the next release. Existing applications running on 5.2 would
continue to run if the package was upgraded, and new applications
running on 5.3 would be possible.

I doubt those still running PHP4 are keeping their installed PEAR
packages up-to-date anymore anyway

Anyone see any caveats I'm not thinking of here?

Regards,

Mike

From: =?UTF-8?B?TWFydMOtbiBNYXJxdcOpcw==?= on
El día 16 de marzo de 2010 17:01, Michael Gauthier
<mike(a)silverorange.com> escribió:
> On Tue, 2010-03-16 at 15:41 -0300, Martín Marqués wrote:
>> All this is being tested in a development server, so I can do testing
>> of Image_Graph.
>>

>> But this would only solve the problem with THIS package, and not with
>> all the others.
>>

>> Why is it such a big concern about breaking PHP4 compatibility, if
>> PHP4 is deprecated?
>
> It's not a big concern to me, but I expect those who are running legacy
> systems and relying on PHP4 compatibility being maintained would be
> concerned.
>
> That said, if it is possible to maintain API backwards-compatibility
> while still dropping PHP4 support, I would not have a problem with it.
> The package.xml would just be updated to increase the required PHP
> version for the next release. Existing applications running on 5.2 would
> continue to run if the package was upgraded, and new applications
> running on 5.3 would be possible.
>
> I doubt those still running PHP4 are keeping their installed PEAR
> packages up-to-date anymore anyway
>
> Anyone see any caveats I'm not thinking of here?

Totally with you on this.

If you don't want or can't upgrade to PHP 5.2 or better, then they
shouldn't as well upgrade PEAR packages.

--
Martín Marqués
DBA, Programador, Administrador