From: =?UTF-8?B?TWFydMOtbiBNYXJxdcOpcw==?= on
a few days ago I upgraded my development server with PHP 5.3, and
found that some pear packages stopped working giving FATAL ERRORs,
like this (this one is from package Image_Graph):

PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined method
Image_Graph_Plotarea_Element::Image_Graph_Element() in
/usr/share/php/Image/Graph/Layout.php on line 73

I found that the problem is when calling the parents constructors like
parent::ClassName.

Changing that fixes the problem, but there are alot of clases with this problem.

Are these problems being addressed?

--
Martín Marqués
DBA, Programador, Administrador
From: Michael Gauthier on
Martín,

The problem with many of these packages is they are stable and list PHP4
as a supported version.

The parent::__construct() syntax was not available until PHP5. To update
these packages, maintainers would have to break PHP4 compatibility of a
stable package.

It is not an ideal situation.

Many packages have taken the opportunity to release a version 2 with a
cleaned-up fully PHP5 compatible API.

Cheers,

Mike

From: "Stefan Neufeind, PEAR" on
Hi,

for Image_Graph these things are already fixed in SVN. Could you please
try a current checkout? There are some other things which I've been
lately working on for cleanup in Image_Graph, so Image_Graph is
currently in not such an ideal relase-state. But I'll see to release an
updated package soon as well. Meanwhile, an SVN-checkout will help you.

Since Image_Graph was in alpha-stage anyway, I've weighted the pros and
cons and decided to go post-PHP5 with the next release.

Kind regards,
Stefan Neufeind

From: =?UTF-8?B?TWFydMOtbiBNYXJxdcOpcw==?= on
Actually I found about the __construct() change looking at the web SVN
from Image_Graph.

I will try to update from SVN soon. Would be nice to be able to pear
upgrade Image_Graph.

From: Michael Gauthier on
Stefan,

How far out is a release? Anything Martín could do to help?

Cheers,

Mike