From: "Gary" on
What would cause a machine not to read/process php?

I have a laptop that I have been ever increasing using for php scripting. I
decided to do a simple experiment, it started out something like:

$seconds=1;
$minutes=$seconds*60;
$hours=$minutes*60;
$days="$hours*24;

echo $seconds;
echo $minutes;
echo $hours;
echo $days;

Nothing showed in the browser on my local server. I then tried various
changes, adding single quotes, double quotes, parenthsis, changing echo to
print....nothing.

Finally, after looking online and through a couples of books, I was able to
get this in the browser:

$minutes"; echo $hours; echo $days; ?>

I also got this in a browser (code not included in this post but you can see
how far back to the basics I went to get this to work).

Hello World'; echo "

$minutes
"; echo $hours; echo $days; ?>

When I sent the file over to my other computer...I got what I thought I was
going to get, numbers and calculations.

What would cause a browser to display the closing tags of php?

I dont know where to begin to look, could this be a setting in my editor
(Dreamweaver CS3), the testing server config file, the browsers?

Thanks for your help.

Gary

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5057 (20100424) __________

http://www.eset.com

From: Michiel Sikma on
On 25 April 2010 00:45, Gary <gwp(a)paulgdesigns.com> wrote:

> What would cause a machine not to read/process php?
>
> I have a laptop that I have been ever increasing using for php scripting.
> I decided to do a simple experiment, it started out something like:
>
> $seconds=1;
> $minutes=$seconds*60;
> $hours=$minutes*60;
> $days="$hours*24;
>
> echo $seconds;
> echo $minutes;
> echo $hours;
> echo $days;

-snip-

A text editor with syntax highlighting would certainly help. There's a
double quote " right in front of the $hours variable on the fourth line.
That's an unterminated string literal, a syntax error, which would cause PHP
to abort entirely. Your php's error log probably has a message in it to this
extent.

The reason why you got a number of different results is probably because you
added another double quote further down in later versions.

But if that's somehow not it, post the entire source code of your file on a
site like http://pastie.org/ so we can have a closer look.

Michiel
From: "Gary" on
Michiel

Thank you for your reply, but that is not it.

I took it down to
<?php
$seconds=1;
echo $seconds;
?>

Total code, and got nothing, blank screen. (this is just a silly exercise
where I was going to input a date of birth and produce age in seconds) When
I put the exact same code on my other machine, it showed numbers and
calculations, most important, it showed something at all.

This is an issue with configuration or settings somewhere, or perhaps my
XAMPP is corrupt.

Thank you for your reply.

Gary

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5057 (20100424) __________

http://www.eset.com

From: Karl DeSaulniers on
Hi Gary,
It is probably because you have the file named .html and not .php.

I took your code:

<?php
$seconds=1;
echo $seconds;
?>

and put it an a .html and .php file and put it on my server.
With the.php file, I got a result of 1
for the .html file I got a blank screen.

HTH,

Karl

Karl DeSaulniers
Design Drumm
http://designdrumm.com

From: "Gary" on
Karl

Thanks for your reply....that wasnt it. File was originated as a php file.

So I have been playing with the experiment, and this is now the total code:

<head>

body {
font-size:20px;
}
<title>Time Experiment</title>
</head>
<form action="<?php echo $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'];?>" method="post">
</form>

<?php
$age=$_POST['age'];

$seconds=1;
$minutes=($seconds*60);//60
$hours=$minutes*60;//3600
$days=$hours*24;//86,400
//$days=$days;
$months=$days*30;//2,592,000

$years=$months*12;
$seconds_old=$years*$age;
$seconds_old=number_format($seconds_old,0,'.',',');
$years=number_format($years,0,'.',',');
$days=number_format($days,0,'.',',');
$months=number_format($months,0,'.',',');

/*Interesting, when I had the number_format of days before the months, the
math was wrong, it returned 2,592
turns out you must reverse the order of the second var for number_format*/
echo "There is $seconds in a second";
echo "<p>There are $minutes seconds in a minute.</p>";
echo "<p>There are $hours seconds in an hour.</p>";
echo "<p>There are $days seconds in a day.</p>";
echo "<p>There are $months seconds in a month.</p>";
echo "<p>There are $years seconds in a year.</p>";
echo "<p>You have lived about $seconds_old Seconds in your life</p>";

?>

And this code produces, on the good machine, the tower, this:

I am years old.

There is 1 in a second
There are 60 seconds in a minute.

There are 3600 seconds in an hour.

There are 86,400 seconds in a day.

There are 2,592,000 seconds in a month.

There are 31,104,000 seconds in a year.

You have lived about 0 Seconds in your life

Same exact code that I just now sent over to the original "bad" machine,
produces this:

I am years old.

There are $minutes seconds in a minute."; echo "

There are $hours seconds in an hour.

"; echo "

There are $days seconds in a day.

"; echo "

There are $months seconds in a month.

"; echo "

There are $years seconds in a year.

"; echo "

You have lived about $seconds_old Seconds in your life

"; ?>

Same code, different machines, different results. Notice the closing ?> php
tag is printed.

Like I said, I dont know where to start to look.

Thanks for your reply.

Gary