From: Pedro Sanchez IV on
The computer is 99% used for browsing websites, flash java, etc Hardly
ever used for a Game of any kind but I want to replace it for the
person so they could see a pretty big performance increase.

Right now it's the following CPU

Motherboard = ASUS A8S-X 939 SiS 756 ATX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131525

Motherboard Details:Socket Type 939/CPU Type Athlon 64 FX/Athlon 64
FSB 1000MHz Hyper Transport (2000 MT/s)
Chipsets North Bridge SiS 756/South Bridge SiS 965L
Memory Slots 4�184pin/DDR 400/
MaxMem Supported 4GB/Supported Dual Channel

and
CPU=AMD Athlon 64 Venice Core Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0GHz
Mode-ADA3200BPBOX Socket 939
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103535
Details of CPU:AMD Athlon 64/Socket Socket 939/
Venice Core/Single-Core/Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0GHz

It's using XP but I have a purchased copy of Vista Home that could be
used since the hard drive would be re-used.

I also realize the ram wouldn't likely not be reusable either.

Can anyone think of a MB+CPU combo that could easily triple the speed
and power of the current system?

I am at the Quad-Core with my own computer and have lost the
intermediate steps that start from Socket939 is what I'm publically
asking for some assistance.

I'm looking at something under $250-$300 if that's asking for too
much?

Hopefully someone can suggest a MGB+CPU system with some links

thanks

From: kony on
On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 20:40:26 -0500, Pedro Sanchez IV
<pedro(a)sanchez.iv> wrote:

>The computer is 99% used for browsing websites, flash java, etc Hardly
>ever used for a Game of any kind but I want to replace it for the
>person so they could see a pretty big performance increase.
>
>Right now it's the following CPU
>
>Motherboard = ASUS A8S-X 939 SiS 756 ATX
>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131525
>
>Motherboard Details:Socket Type 939/CPU Type Athlon 64 FX/Athlon 64
>FSB 1000MHz Hyper Transport (2000 MT/s)
>Chipsets North Bridge SiS 756/South Bridge SiS 965L
>Memory Slots 4�184pin/DDR 400/
>MaxMem Supported 4GB/Supported Dual Channel
>
>and
>CPU=AMD Athlon 64 Venice Core Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0GHz
>Mode-ADA3200BPBOX Socket 939
>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103535
>Details of CPU:AMD Athlon 64/Socket Socket 939/
>Venice Core/Single-Core/Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0GHz

No need to replace it, that is more than fast enough for
"browsing websites, flash java, etc". If it doesn't have at
least 1GB memory/WinXP or 1.5GB/Vista, consider upgrading
the memory and perhaps the current operating system
installation is bloated from age and should be reinstalled
clean.

>It's using XP but I have a purchased copy of Vista Home that could be
>used since the hard drive would be re-used.

The hard drive is probably one of the greater bottlenecks
for web surfing/etc, consider a new one or set the browser
to cache everything in ram instead of on the hard drive, but
even this difference shouldn't be enough to prevent
reasonable web surfing either way.

>I also realize the ram wouldn't likely not be reusable either.

>Can anyone think of a MB+CPU combo that could easily triple the speed
>and power of the current system?

No, to triple your web browsing you will have to upgrade the
ISP account to triple the bandwidth, the fastest parts on
earth won't make as much difference as that would.

>I am at the Quad-Core with my own computer and have lost the
>intermediate steps that start from Socket939 is what I'm publically
>asking for some assistance.

Socket AM3 or LGA775 would be the socket you probably want,
considering you'll need to get the CPU, motherboard, and
memory all within $250-300. You could get a E8400,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037
an Asus board,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131607
and however much memory you want,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=Property&Subcategory=147&Description=&Type=&N=2010170147&srchInDesc=&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=&PropertyCodeValue=521%3A29233

.... but it won't be noticably better for web surfing, and
installing Vista will cancel some of the benefit of the
higher performing parts and more memory too.

>I'm looking at something under $250-$300 if that's asking for too
>much?
>
>Hopefully someone can suggest a MGB+CPU system with some links

You might consider just overclocking what you have a little
bit. Some Athlon 64 could easily do 3.0GHz.

Pages: 1
Prev: Windows XP or Windows 7
Next: Mobo vs PS problem