From: Daniel Prince on
Which would be faster on a 64 bit processor with 4 gigs of ram,
Windows XP that can only use about 3 gigs of ram or Windows 7 that
can use the full 4 gigs but would use more ram for the OS? Thank
you in advance for all replies.
--
Whenever I hear or think of the song "Great green gobs of greasy
grimey gopher guts" I imagine my cat saying; "That sounds REALLY,
From: Man-wai Chang to The Door (+MS=32B) on
I would stay away from 64-bit WinXP as it's old-hat and was more like a
quick-and-dirty patch than a real OS like Vi$ta if not Win 7!

> Which would be faster on a 64 bit processor with 4 gigs of ram,
> Windows XP that can only use about 3 gigs of ram or Windows 7 that
> can use the full 4 gigs but would use more ram for the OS? Thank
> you in advance for all replies.

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.31-14-generic
From: Dave C. on
On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 04:07:41 -0800
Daniel Prince <neutrino1(a)ca.rr.com> wrote:

> Which would be faster on a 64 bit processor with 4 gigs of ram,
> Windows XP that can only use about 3 gigs of ram or Windows 7 that
> can use the full 4 gigs but would use more ram for the OS? Thank
> you in advance for all replies.

The answer is that neither one would be faster. Both will run fast on
3GB of RAM. If you upgrade from 3GB to 4GB of RAM, you will notice no
difference in performance.

Yes, I'm aware of the restrictions of 32-bit operating systems in
addressing larger amounts of RAM.

But if you upgrade from say, 3GB to 8GB of RAM, you will STILL notice
no difference in performance, even assuming that your OS is 64-bit.

People are building with insane amounts of RAM these days, partly
because RAM is (relatively) cheap and partly because the hardware has
advanced to the point where it is easy to add 8, 12, 16GB or even more
of RAM, in some systems.

But it is highly unlikely that the average user will benefit from more
than 3GB of RAM, and modern operating systems run just fine on 1.5-2GB
of RAM.

4GB of RAM is a reasonable amount, more than you probably need, but not
outrageous, based on hardware capability and cost. -Dave
From: Sleepy on

"Daniel Prince" <neutrino1(a)ca.rr.com> wrote in message
> Which would be faster on a 64 bit processor with 4 gigs of ram,
> Windows XP that can only use about 3 gigs of ram or Windows 7 that
> can use the full 4 gigs but would use more ram for the OS? Thank
> you in advance for all replies.
> --
> Whenever I hear or think of the song "Great green gobs of greasy
> grimey gopher guts" I imagine my cat saying; "That sounds REALLY,
> REALLY good. I'll have some of that!"

People saying Windows 7 is faster are generally comparing it with Vista
which was much slower on release
but is fine now. Windows 7 does have better multicore support so if your CPU
is dual or quad core then its a consideration
but if its only single then stick with XP.

Windows 7 does have some nice features but it also dumps some older features
(like the Classic start menu and the Shared folder icon).
I tried Windows 7 and went back to Vista because I'm on a home network and
share folder with my sisters XP machine and also a printer.
I had problems sharing the printer - I like to see at a glance what folders
I have shared - I record TV programs and share them but XP cannot handle WTV
files which are hugely bloated compared to DVR-MS.

If you're happy with XP - stick with it and ignore the hype surrounding
Windows 7.

From: Man-wai Chang to The Door (+MS=32B) on
BTW, when you asked this question, it indirectly indicated that you have
no urgent/dire need for Win 7! So stay with 32-bit WinXP until there was
no choice but to go Win 7!

> I would stay away from 64-bit WinXP as it's old-hat and was more like a
> quick-and-dirty patch than a real OS like Vi$ta if not Win 7!

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.31.6
^ ^ 20:13:01 up 9:18 1 user load average: 1.06 1.10 1.04