From: Davej on
Have a Dell laptop that is acting a little odd. After installing the
OS and everything I learn that the drivers are supposed to be
installed in a particular order. Has anyone dealt with this issue?
Thanks.
From: TVeblen on

"Davej" <galt_57(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Have a Dell laptop that is acting a little odd. After installing the
> OS and everything I learn that the drivers are supposed to be
> installed in a particular order. Has anyone dealt with this issue?

You normally install motherboard drivers, video drivers, LAN drivers, and
any other built in device driver first, generally in that order. If you are
installing SCSI drivers you do that before you install the OS (XP and
earlier). And if you must choose between Legacy IDE mode or SATA mode you
need to do that before you load the OS too.
More detailed explanation of the issue would be helpful in getting
intelligent responses.

From: Davej on
On Nov 3, 5:31 pm, "TVeblen" <killtherob...(a)hal.net> wrote:
> "Davej" <galt...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Have a Dell laptop that is acting a little odd. After installing the
> > OS and everything I learn that the drivers are supposed to be
> > installed in a particular order. Has anyone dealt with this issue?
>
> You normally install motherboard drivers, video drivers, LAN drivers, and
> any other built in device driver first, generally in that order. If you are
> installing SCSI drivers you do that before you install the OS (XP and
> earlier). And if you must choose between Legacy IDE mode or SATA mode you
> need to do that before you load the OS too.
> More detailed explanation of the issue would be helpful in getting
> intelligent responses.

Well, the question is -- how can you look at a system and tell if the
drivers have been installed in the correct order -- and if they
weren't -- how would you fix that without a complete format and start
over?
From: Mike Easter on
Davej wrote:
> Well, the question is -- how can you look at a system and tell if the
> drivers have been installed in the correct order

No, that isn't the question.

The question is, what does this mean?

--
Mike Easter
From: Sleepy on

> On Nov 3, 5:31 pm, "TVeblen" <killtherob...(a)hal.net> wrote:
>> "Davej" <galt...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Have a Dell laptop that is acting a little odd. After installing the
>> > OS and everything I learn that the drivers are supposed to be
>> > installed in a particular order. Has anyone dealt with this issue?
>>
>> You normally install motherboard drivers, video drivers, LAN drivers, and
>> any other built in device driver first, generally in that order. If you
>> are
>> installing SCSI drivers you do that before you install the OS (XP and
>> earlier). And if you must choose between Legacy IDE mode or SATA mode you
>> need to do that before you load the OS too.
>> More detailed explanation of the issue would be helpful in getting
>> intelligent responses.
>
> Well, the question is -- how can you look at a system and tell if the
> drivers have been installed in the correct order -- and if they
> weren't -- how would you fix that without a complete format and start
> over?

boot into safe mode - uninstall any graphics, sound and network drivers that
have
been installed by you - dont worry about drivers that the OS install
automatically included.
then install motherboard drivers (if the manufacturer provides them) and
then video and then whatever....

sometimes the OS includes adequate drivers for the motherboard particularly
if its a Intel chipset board
and you just install the others.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3