From: jeff on
Eric Bednarz wrote:
> "Jonathan N. Little" <lws4art(a)gmail.com> writes:
>
>> jeff wrote:

> That's a known problem, and the best solution is to avoid it. ;-)
>
> Anyway. You'd have to nest the image in two spans and
> * set the spans display to inline-block
> * set the opacity with an Alpha filter on the outermost span
> * set the image with an AlphaImageLoader filter on the image's
> parent-span
> * set the image's visibility to hidden
>
> And of course use Conditional Comments for that.
>
> (JFTR, in IE8 it works to apply both filters to a single wrapping
> element node.)
>
>>> I don't believe I've noticed this with the iepngfix.htc, you may wish to
>>> try an alternate IE6 png fix.
>
> HTCs are terrible and this is not only about Internet Explorer 6 anyway.
>
>> Or considering the dwindling share of IE6 (woot-woot!)you may conclude
>> it is not worth the effort.
>
> I really like throwing random data at random propaganda.
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Msieshare1>

That shows IE6 to be the most popular of all browsers (barely). I
suppose I'll have to find another PNG fix.

Jeff

From: Ed Mullen on
jeff wrote:
> Eric Bednarz wrote:
>> "Jonathan N. Little" <lws4art(a)gmail.com> writes:
>> are of IE6 (woot-woot!)you may conclude
>>> it is not worth the effort.
>>
>> I really like throwing random data at random propaganda.
>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers>
>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Msieshare1>
>
> That shows IE6 to be the most popular of all browsers (barely). I
> suppose I'll have to find another PNG fix.

I am getting /very/ close to removing any support for
"less-than-IE-7-browsers" from anything I do on the Web. It is becoming
largely irrelevant. And the more authours do that? The more users will
upgrade to IE7 or IR8 and above.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

From: David Stone on
In article <hit5mr$dh5$1(a)news.albasani.net>, jeff <jeff_thies(a)att.net>
wrote:
> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
[snip]

> > Or considering the dwindling share of IE6 (woot-woot!)you may conclude
> > it is not worth the effort.
>
> I'm ready for IE6 to be dead, but the last figures I could reference
> had it at about a significant 15% or so. Do you have a better stat?

Arguably, the best stat would be the one for the sites you personally
create/maintain, if you can get that information.
From: jeff on
David Stone wrote:
> In article <hit5mr$dh5$1(a)news.albasani.net>, jeff <jeff_thies(a)att.net>
> wrote:
>> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> [snip]
>>> Or considering the dwindling share of IE6 (woot-woot!)you may conclude
>>> it is not worth the effort.
>> I'm ready for IE6 to be dead, but the last figures I could reference
>> had it at about a significant 15% or so. Do you have a better stat?
>
> Arguably, the best stat would be the one for the sites you personally
> create/maintain, if you can get that information.

Oh, sounds like work! I stopped reading stats years ago. I've got 60
some sites in my FTP client and that's not all.

At any rate, I'm not letting a site break in IE6, I just don't care
as much if a margin or padding or something is off. I use this to fix
most IE6 irregularities:

<script src="http://ie7-js.googlecode.com/svn/version/2.0(beta3)/IE8.js"
type="text/javascript"></script>

I'll let someone else evangelise, I just don't want a complaining
client! I waited years for NS4 to die!

Jeff

From: dorayme on
In article <hj24ks$fom$1(a)news.albasani.net>, jeff <jeff_thies(a)att.net>
wrote:

> I use this to fix
> most IE6 irregularities:
>
> <script src="http://ie7-js.googlecode.com/svn/version/2.0(beta3)/IE8.js"
> type="text/javascript"></script>

What does this fix? I like the sound of a magic bullet.

--
dorayme