From: Andrew Poulos on
I have a number of 32 bit PNG images that have transparent sections in
them. The borders of these sections have anti aliased edges. The images
appear fine in IE (with IE 6 I use the AlphaImageLoader filter).

When an opacity style is applied ie.
elem.style.filter = "alpha(opacity=50)";
the anti aliased edges display as solid black.

Is there some other filter/style that can be applied to keep the anti
aliased edges as anti aliased?

Andrew Poulos
From: jeff on
Andrew Poulos wrote:
> I have a number of 32 bit PNG images that have transparent sections in
> them. The borders of these sections have anti aliased edges. The images
> appear fine in IE (with IE 6 I use the AlphaImageLoader filter).
>
> When an opacity style is applied ie.
> elem.style.filter = "alpha(opacity=50)";
> the anti aliased edges display as solid black.
>
> Is there some other filter/style that can be applied to keep the anti
> aliased edges as anti aliased?

Dunno.

I don't believe I've noticed this with the iepngfix.htc, you may wish
to try an alternate IE6 png fix.

Jeff

From: Jonathan N. Little on
jeff wrote:
> Andrew Poulos wrote:
>> I have a number of 32 bit PNG images that have transparent sections in
>> them. The borders of these sections have anti aliased edges. The
>> images appear fine in IE (with IE 6 I use the AlphaImageLoader filter).
>>
>> When an opacity style is applied ie.
>> elem.style.filter = "alpha(opacity=50)";
>> the anti aliased edges display as solid black.
>>
>> Is there some other filter/style that can be applied to keep the anti
>> aliased edges as anti aliased?
>
> Dunno.
>
> I don't believe I've noticed this with the iepngfix.htc, you may wish to
> try an alternate IE6 png fix.

Or considering the dwindling share of IE6 (woot-woot!)you may conclude
it is not worth the effort.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
From: jeff on
Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> jeff wrote:
>> Andrew Poulos wrote:
>>> I have a number of 32 bit PNG images that have transparent sections in
>>> them. The borders of these sections have anti aliased edges. The
>>> images appear fine in IE (with IE 6 I use the AlphaImageLoader filter).
>>>
>>> When an opacity style is applied ie.
>>> elem.style.filter = "alpha(opacity=50)";
>>> the anti aliased edges display as solid black.
>>>
>>> Is there some other filter/style that can be applied to keep the anti
>>> aliased edges as anti aliased?
>>
>> Dunno.
>>
>> I don't believe I've noticed this with the iepngfix.htc, you may wish to
>> try an alternate IE6 png fix.
>
> Or considering the dwindling share of IE6 (woot-woot!)you may conclude
> it is not worth the effort.

I'm ready for IE6 to be dead, but the last figures I could reference
had it at about a significant 15% or so. Do you have a better stat?

Jeff

From: Eric Bednarz on
"Jonathan N. Little" <lws4art(a)gmail.com> writes:

> jeff wrote:
>> Andrew Poulos wrote:
>>> I have a number of 32 bit PNG images that have transparent sections in
>>> them. The borders of these sections have anti aliased edges. The
>>> images appear fine in IE (with IE 6 I use the AlphaImageLoader filter).
>>>
>>> When an opacity style is applied ie.
>>> elem.style.filter = "alpha(opacity=50)";
>>> the anti aliased edges display as solid black.

That's a known problem, and the best solution is to avoid it. ;-)

Anyway. You'd have to nest the image in two spans and
* set the spans display to inline-block
* set the opacity with an Alpha filter on the outermost span
* set the image with an AlphaImageLoader filter on the image's
parent-span
* set the image's visibility to hidden

And of course use Conditional Comments for that.

(JFTR, in IE8 it works to apply both filters to a single wrapping
element node.)

>> I don't believe I've noticed this with the iepngfix.htc, you may wish to
>> try an alternate IE6 png fix.

HTCs are terrible and this is not only about Internet Explorer 6 anyway.

> Or considering the dwindling share of IE6 (woot-woot!)you may conclude
> it is not worth the effort.

I really like throwing random data at random propaganda.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers>
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Msieshare1>