From: Aditi on
Hi,

Thank you for your suggestions.
I will take a look at them and get back to you if I have any more
questions.

Aditi.

From: Jon Elson on
Aditi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am planning to use a Spartan 6 FPGA (XC6SLX9) in my new design.
> Could someone suggest a reprogrammable PROM to configure this device,
> like the capacity of the Flash PROM needed ?
Also, SST has a line of flash proms. I use their 1-mbit version on a
smaller FPGA, but they have a 4 mb part,
http://mouser.com/ProductDetail/Atmel/AT29LV040A-15TU/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtI%252bQ06EiAoG1KfhKGNTAIqdwDuLxOe7u0%3d

I use the so-8 package, but they have a smaller chip-scale version.

Jon
From: Jon Elson on
Aditi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am planning to use a Spartan 6 FPGA (XC6SLX9) in my new design.
> Could someone suggest a reprogrammable PROM to configure this device,
> like the capacity of the Flash PROM needed ?
OOPS, wrong part. The part I'm using is the SST 25VF010A, the 4 Mbit
part is the SST25VF040, they have a couple variants and package choices.
These things are MUCH cheaper than some other makers, and have worked
quite well in my application. I did have to write my own serial
programming routine for them, but it wasn't too hard.

Jon
From: Bryan on
Uncompressed, standard bitstream sizes for Spartan-6 are listed in
UG380 (Table 5-5 in v2.1). Ranges anywhere from 2,724,832 for the LX4
and LX9 up to 33,761,696 for the LX150/T.

Besides the other recommendations, also be aware that Spartan-6 SPI
configuration supports the newer Multi-I/O Flash. This allows you to
increase your configuration rate by reading back the SPI Flash in x2
or x4 modes. Take a look at the Spansion S25FL family or the Numonyx
N25Q.

The S25FL comes in 32, 64, or 128. Smallest package is a 5x6mm.
Xilinx iMPACT supports this family as of 11.4.
http://www.spansion.com/Products/Pages/MirrorBitSPIMulti_IO.aspx

Only the 128 version is available in the N25Q family. Smallest
package is a 6x8mm. I believe Xilinx iMPACT support is slated in
12.1.
http://www.numonyx.com/en-US/MemoryProducts/NORserial/Pages/N25Q.aspx

I have experimented with both families with Spartan-6, and both work
well, with the added benefit of potentially configuring 4x faster.

Bryan
From: Uwe Bonnes on
Bryan <bryan.fletcher(a)avnet.com> wrote:
> Uncompressed, standard bitstream sizes for Spartan-6 are listed in
> UG380 (Table 5-5 in v2.1). Ranges anywhere from 2,724,832 for the LX4
> and LX9 up to 33,761,696 for the LX150/T.

> Besides the other recommendations, also be aware that Spartan-6 SPI
> configuration supports the newer Multi-I/O Flash. This allows you to
> increase your configuration rate by reading back the SPI Flash in x2
> or x4 modes. Take a look at the Spansion S25FL family or the Numonyx
> N25Q.

> The S25FL comes in 32, 64, or 128. Smallest package is a 5x6mm.
> Xilinx iMPACT supports this family as of 11.4.
> http://www.spansion.com/Products/Pages/MirrorBitSPIMulti_IO.aspx

> Only the 128 version is available in the N25Q family. Smallest
> package is a 6x8mm. I believe Xilinx iMPACT support is slated in
> 12.1.
> http://www.numonyx.com/en-US/MemoryProducts/NORserial/Pages/N25Q.aspx

> I have experimented with both families with Spartan-6, and both work
> well, with the added benefit of potentially configuring 4x faster.

Availability of these parts is another thing to consider
--
Uwe Bonnes bon(a)elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de

Institut fuer Kernphysik Schlossgartenstrasse 9 64289 Darmstadt