From: Aditi on
Hi,

I am planning to use a Spartan 6 FPGA (XC6SLX9) in my new design.
Could someone suggest a reprogrammable PROM to configure this device,
like the capacity of the Flash PROM needed ?
From: Aditi on
On Mar 24, 3:59 pm, Aditi <aditi...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am planning to use a Spartan 6 FPGA (XC6SLX9) in my new design.
> Could someone suggest a reprogrammable PROM to configure this device,
> like the capacity of the Flash PROM needed ?

Actually I have found a Xilinx Platform Flash XCF04S (4M bit), but
could some one suggest if there is an alternative vendor who
manufactures Xilinx compatible Flash PROMs of the same or higher
capacity but smaller size (preferably less than 6x6mm)?

Aditi.
From: Uwe Bonnes on
Aditi <aditimis(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,

> I am planning to use a Spartan 6 FPGA (XC6SLX9) in my new design.
> Could someone suggest a reprogrammable PROM to configure this device,
> like the capacity of the Flash PROM needed ?

Use SPI Flash, like M25P32.
--
Uwe Bonnes bon(a)elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de

Institut fuer Kernphysik Schlossgartenstrasse 9 64289 Darmstadt
From: John Larkin on
On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 13:59:56 -0700 (PDT), Aditi <aditimis(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am planning to use a Spartan 6 FPGA (XC6SLX9) in my new design.
>Could someone suggest a reprogrammable PROM to configure this device,
>like the capacity of the Flash PROM needed ?

We're using a NuMonics serial flash chip, M25P16, SO-8, 16 mbits, to
program a Spartan6/45. Works fine. We just use a .BIT file in a B&K
USB programmer. We actually solder the SO-8 to a small adapter board
so we can plug it into a dip socket.

Check the Xilinx lit to see how many config bits you need. The /45
needs around 10 mbits.

For some reason I do have to erase them before I program them. I
thought flash didn't need that.

John

From: Uwe Bonnes on
John Larkin <jjlarkin(a)highnotlandthistechnologypart.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 13:59:56 -0700 (PDT), Aditi <aditimis(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:

> >Hi,
> >
> >I am planning to use a Spartan 6 FPGA (XC6SLX9) in my new design.
> >Could someone suggest a reprogrammable PROM to configure this device,
> >like the capacity of the Flash PROM needed ?

> We're using a NuMonics serial flash chip, M25P16, SO-8, 16 mbits, to
> program a Spartan6/45. Works fine. We just use a .BIT file in a B&K
> USB programmer. We actually solder the SO-8 to a small adapter board
> so we can plug it into a dip socket.

You can also load the FPGA with some core and program the SPI Flash via JTAG
with that core. This works with Impact and (sourceforge) xc3sprog.