From: WebBiz on
Greetings!

Recently someone with Win98 had a problem when installing and trying to run
my VB6 program. Some files that needed to be on the machine were not, or
were too old, or a variation of such. My XP customers have no problem
installing my app.

I've been using INNO_Setup to package my installation. Without really being
up on how to determine what all files need to go with the program, it is
pretty much hit-n-miss for me.

I used to use the VB6 package program, but it makes VERY BIG downloadables.
The INNO program makes them so much smaller.

But with this recent Win98 issue, I had to do the fat VB6 deployment/package
wizard. So rather than 3 meg download, it was 8 megs!

My question is this:

1. What do you recommend as a good deployment/packaging program? I'm I cool
with Inno, or is there actually better/easier?

2. Is there an easy way to determine which files I must install with my
program? Inno requires I know upfront what they are.

3. How do you know whether you should replace the file on the user's machine
if it already exists? Is there Win98 vs. XP file issues?

I want to make sure that all the proper files get loaded onto the machine if
necessary, whether they are using Win98, XP, Win2K, NT, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Rick

From: mayayana on
You really should figure out what all of your
dependencies are and be clear about which
versions to ship. You shouldn't ship anything in
a newer version than what's on Win2000 because
of system file protection. The new files won't
install.

The PDW will figure out what files you need,
and should choose the right versions, whether
you use the PDW for the final install or not.
The PDW also includes the runtime files
by default. Usually you won't need those. I just
provide a link for the rare cases where the runtime
is not already installed. That saves you about 1 MB.

From: WebBiz on
"mayayana" <mayaXXyana1a(a)mindXXspring.com> wrote in message
> You really should figure out what all of your
> dependencies are and be clear about which
> versions to ship. You shouldn't ship anything in
> a newer version than what's on Win2000 because
> of system file protection. The new files won't
> install.
>
> The PDW will figure out what files you need,
> and should choose the right versions, whether
> you use the PDW for the final install or not.
> The PDW also includes the runtime files
> by default. Usually you won't need those. I just
> provide a link for the rare cases where the runtime
> is not already installed. That saves you about 1 MB.
>
>> Recently someone with Win98 had a problem when installing and trying to
> run
>> my VB6 program. Some files that needed to be on the machine were not, or
>> were too old, or a variation of such. My XP customers have no problem
>> installing my app.
>>
>> I've been using INNO_Setup to package my installation. Without really
> being
>> up on how to determine what all files need to go with the program, it is
>> pretty much hit-n-miss for me.
>>
>> I used to use the VB6 package program, but it makes VERY BIG
> downloadables.
>> The INNO program makes them so much smaller.
>>
>> But with this recent Win98 issue, I had to do the fat VB6
> deployment/package
>> wizard. So rather than 3 meg download, it was 8 megs!
>>
>> My question is this:
>>
>> 1. What do you recommend as a good deployment/packaging program? I'm I
> cool
>> with Inno, or is there actually better/easier?
>>
>> 2. Is there an easy way to determine which files I must install with my
>> program? Inno requires I know upfront what they are.
>>
>> 3. How do you know whether you should replace the file on the user's
> machine
>> if it already exists? Is there Win98 vs. XP file issues?
>>
>> I want to make sure that all the proper files get loaded onto the machine
> if
>> necessary, whether they are using Win98, XP, Win2K, NT, etc.
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>
>> Rick

Thanks for your reply.

I'm confused about the first paragraph:

> You really should figure out what all of your
> dependencies are and be clear about which
> versions to ship. You shouldn't ship anything in
> a newer version than what's on Win2000 because
> of system file protection. The new files won't
> install.

How do I figure out what 'versions' to ship? I write the programs on my XP
Home system. When done and ready to package, I don't know what files Win98
can or cannot run. What tells me that I wrote my program with a version that
is too high for other systems?

Okay, I ran PDW and it gives me a list:

comdlg32.dll
comdlg32.ocx
fmtkit32.dll
igtabs40.ocx
igtoolbars50.ocx
mscomctl.ocx
msvbvm50.dll
msvcrt.dll
scrrun.dll
VB6 Runtime and OLE Automation.

So I should include all of the above EXCEPT the VB6 Runtime, correct?

As for a packaging program, what do you find to be really, really good and
easy to use?

Thanks.
Rick

From: Alfie [UK] on
On Wed, 4 Oct 2006 16:25:30 -0500, "WebBiz" <justask(a)andyouwillget.com>
wrote:

>1. What do you recommend as a good deployment/packaging program? I'm I cool
>with Inno, or is there actually better/easier?
>
>2. Is there an easy way to determine which files I must install with my
>program? Inno requires I know upfront what they are.
>
>3. How do you know whether you should replace the file on the user's machine
>if it already exists? Is there Win98 vs. XP file issues?
>
>I want to make sure that all the proper files get loaded onto the machine if
>necessary, whether they are using Win98, XP, Win2K, NT, etc.

The basic rule to avoid such issues is to build and test on the lowest
level OS that you wish to support, in this case, Win98. Keep a minimal
install Win98 box around for that, or have a dual boot system so you can
use it for testing.

You can take that a step further by developing on the lowest level OS,
but that's not always necessary if you understand what has changed in
controls, libraries, and APIs (also which library functions, APIs have
been deprecated or changed) under new OS'. For APIs
http://www.allapi.net/ is invaluable, for libraries it's not always
obvious whether full backwards compatibility is available.

That way you avoid using any new features not supported in older OS',
and when you build, regardless of your packaging software, it will
always use the older versions. When installing, any installer worthy of
the name will not try to 'update' new versions with your packaged old
versions.

If you build from the lowest version you should only then need to deploy
any custom controls or non-standard controls/libraries that you are
using.
--
Alfie
<http://www.delphia.co.uk/>

From: Steve Gerrard on

"WebBiz" <justask(a)andyouwillget.com> wrote in message
> "mayayana" <mayaXXyana1a(a)mindXXspring.com> wrote in message
>
> Okay, I ran PDW and it gives me a list:
>
> comdlg32.dll
> comdlg32.ocx
> fmtkit32.dll
> igtabs40.ocx
> igtoolbars50.ocx
> mscomctl.ocx
> msvbvm50.dll
> msvcrt.dll
> scrrun.dll
> VB6 Runtime and OLE Automation.
>
> So I should include all of the above EXCEPT the VB6 Runtime, correct?

According to your first post, when you had the Win98 user run the PDW setup, it
worked, is that right?
If so, the PDW would have made a "Support" folder, with the versions of each
file it used in the setup. Those are the ones to use.

Your list doesn't look like 8 Meg to me, and what is different in the Inno setup
that it includes only 3 Meg?

The general wisdom is not to include msvcrt.dll; doing so can cause "file in
use" errors, and most users have several versions already and there is no need.