From: dorayme on
In article
<howard-58A959.12312031072010@[74.209.136.95.rev.gaoland.net]>,
Howard S Shubs <howard(a)shubs.net> wrote:

> I really wish SuperPaint had a real
> descendent.

I remember being very upset when having to give up SuperPaint, my
how good was that program! At least it was brilliant for basic
drawing. A whole production chemical plant was built using this
for the drawings, who needed fancy CAD.

I was under an impression that Adobe bought it to soon enough
kill it and provide less competition for its own other products.
Anyway, I use Illustrator for drawing now but for small things
and just B & W line dwgs it feels like starting a prime mover to
go get the morning paper from the corner shop a couple of miles
away.

--
dorayme
From: Howard S Shubs on
In article <dorayme-083634.09324801082010(a)news.albasani.net>,
dorayme <dorayme(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> I was under an impression that Adobe bought it to soon enough
> kill it and provide less competition for its own other products.

Yes, I believe that was the general impression at the time, too. BTW,
whaddya mean GIVE IT UP?!? I've got it right here. Oh, well, I can't
use it w/o bringing up my SE or my Q630, but it's RIGHT HERE. And
getting the Q630 to talk with the 2009 MacBook Pro is a problem...

> Anyway, I use Illustrator for drawing now but for small things
> and just B & W line dwgs it feels like starting a prime mover to
> go get the morning paper from the corner shop a couple of miles
> away.

SP had the benefit of using the same keys as MacDraw to do the same
things. If you were familiar with MacDraw, you could just replace it
with SuperPaint. Intaglio is NOT the same for no good reason. Annoying.

--
May all your good dreams and fine wishes come true! - The Wizard
May joy be yours all the days of your life! - Phina
From: dorayme on
In article
<howard-51C522.22080931072010(a)74.sub-97-136-209.myvzw.com>,
Howard S Shubs <howard(a)shubs.net> wrote:

> In article <dorayme-083634.09324801082010(a)news.albasani.net>,
> dorayme <dorayme(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>
> > I was under an impression that Adobe bought it to soon enough
> > kill it and provide less competition for its own other products.
>
> Yes, I believe that was the general impression at the time, too. BTW,
> whaddya mean GIVE IT UP?!? I've got it right here. Oh, well, I can't
> use it w/o bringing up my SE or my Q630, but it's RIGHT HERE. And
> getting the Q630 to talk with the 2009 MacBook Pro is a problem...

Yes, me too, I can open it on my older machines! <g>

--
dorayme
From: jt august on
In article <dorayme-083634.09324801082010(a)news.albasani.net>,
dorayme <dorayme(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> In article
> <howard-58A959.12312031072010@[74.209.136.95.rev.gaoland.net]>,
> Howard S Shubs <howard(a)shubs.net> wrote:
>
> > I really wish SuperPaint had a real
> > descendent.
>
> I remember being very upset when having to give up SuperPaint, my
> how good was that program!

This is a valid argument for keeping a fast G4 generation Mac with
classic support around. I am getting ready to migrate to an intel core,
but I already have a space set to keep the G4 tower hot to allow use of
the several vintage apps I still use, including some graphic apps that
date back to System 7 (ah, the old nomenclature). They still work on
the old machine and they are paid for. Just shoot a graphic over the
network and do the magic in classic mode and shoot it back. Why give up
what still works, and why not move forward with the fear of giving up
the old treasures?

jt
From: Erilar on
jt august <starsabre(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> In article <dorayme-083634.09324801082010(a)news.albasani.net>,
> dorayme <dorayme(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>
>> In article
>> <howard-58A959.12312031072010@[74.209.136.95.rev.gaoland.net]>,
>> Howard S Shubs <howard(a)shubs.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I really wish SuperPaint had a real
>>> descendent.
>>
>> I remember being very upset when having to give up SuperPaint, my
>> how good was that program!
>
> This is a valid argument for keeping a fast G4 generation Mac with
> classic support around. I am getting ready to migrate to an intel
> core,
> but I already have a space set to keep the G4 tower hot to allow use
> of
> the several vintage apps I still use, including some graphic apps that
>
> date back to System 7 (ah, the old nomenclature). They still work on
> the old machine and they are paid for. Just shoot a graphic over the
> network and do the magic in classic mode and shoot it back. Why give
> up
> what still works, and why not move forward with the fear of giving up
> the old treasures?

My G4 with 9.2.2 is still sitting on my desk next to the laptop with
SnowLeopard(which I continue to snarl at) while I'm relaxing in my
recliner with my dog occasionally causing typos on the iPad at the
moment. Until the "up"grade needed to sync with the iPad that killed the
connection, I could do different things on them and ship them back and
forth.

Fortunately--though it didn't seem so at the time--my old printer had a
massive stroke and had to be replaced before I began to think about an
iPad, because it was too old to work for OS X-anything--no updated
drivers available. Everything had to move over there to be printed.
This actually had certain advantages 8-) No more. Now I have to mail
things back and forth }8-{

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist