From: Dilly Dally on
I just installed an additional 2gis of ram for a total of 3gigs on an xp pro machine. I have two HDs and have the paging file on the second (non-booting) drive.
I went to check the paging file and found that the "Recommended" size was 4606megs, but
the "Allocated" was 3071megs. The file is set for "System Managed Size"
Why is there a difference between the "Recommended" and "Allocated" amount ??
Which number should I use if changing to a "Custom" setting ??
Thank you for your time and trouble.

From: Shenan Stanley on
Dilly Dally wrote:
> I just installed an additional 2gis of ram for a total of 3gigs on
> an xp pro machine. I have two HDs and have the paging file on the
> second (non-booting) drive. I went to check the paging file and
> found that the "Recommended" size was 4606megs, but
> the "Allocated" was 3071megs. The file is set for "System Managed
> Size"
>
> Why is there a difference between the "Recommended" and "Allocated"
> amount ??
>
> Which number should I use if changing to a "Custom" setting ??
> Thank you for your time and trouble.

First question: Because you have it set to the System Managed Size and not
4606MBs.
Second question: You shouldn't be choosing "custom" - leave it "System
Managed Size".

Tweaking of that setting is not likely to result in performance increases.
Changes you may not notice (a few seconds of pause a month, maybe even gain
a few extra seconds in a year) might happen - but it is not worth the
trouble for 90% of the people out there. Let Windows manage it, continue
using your computer.

Given you went from 1GB to 3GB - unless you do some heavy graphics/sound
work (work - not play - games are usually tweaked to work with less RAM than
that) and given you have Windows XP 32-bit and all the limitations thereof -
you probably won't notice any increase in performance for your money. You
*may* in some select applications (and if that is what you were going for -
great!)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP