From: Mike Jones on

Just got a Panasonic FP2 camera. Having fun so far, but the USB data
transfer to PC is painfully slow. Its supposed to be USB-2, so I'm
thinking I need to do something to enable the higher speed USB-2 when
mounting it?

Clues required at this time. ;)

XP = alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.slackware
FU = alt.os.linux

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
From: Loki Harfagr on
Thu, 08 Jul 2010 12:43:02 +0000, Mike Jones did cat :

> Just got a Panasonic FP2 camera. Having fun so far, but the USB data
> transfer to PC is painfully slow. Its supposed to be USB-2, so I'm
> thinking I need to do something to enable the higher speed USB-2 when
> mounting it?
>
> Clues required at this time. ;)
>

> XP = alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.slackware FU = alt.os.linux

what's the output of this check?
lsmod | grep hci_
From: Mike Jones on
Responding to Loki Harfagr:

> Thu, 08 Jul 2010 12:43:02 +0000, Mike Jones did cat :
>
>> Just got a Panasonic FP2 camera. Having fun so far, but the USB data
>> transfer to PC is painfully slow. Its supposed to be USB-2, so I'm
>> thinking I need to do something to enable the higher speed USB-2 when
>> mounting it?
>>
>> Clues required at this time. ;)
>>

>> XP = alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.slackware FU = alt.os.linux
>
> what's the output of this check?
> lsmod | grep hci_

Nothing.

However...

tail -f /var/log/messages

....does give me

"kernel: usb 2-4: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd"

....and http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2003/10/2927.ars

....tells me I don't have a USB-2 device, I have a USB-1 device.

D'oh!

Unless I've missed something?

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
From: Emilio Lazardo on
On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 12:43:02 +0000, Mike Jones wrote:

> Just got a Panasonic FP2 camera. Having fun so far, but the USB data
> transfer to PC is painfully slow. Its supposed to be USB-2, so I'm
> thinking I need to do something to enable the higher speed USB-2 when
> mounting it?
>
> Clues required at this time. ;)
>

> XP = alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.slackware FU = alt.os.linux

BIOS settings can sometimes limit speed to USB1, also some older
motherboards can have some ports v1 and some v2. A simple read test with
another device (USB stick, disk) and/or a different port would sort this
out.

It would also help to know how you are pulling images and a grep of 'USB'
from dmesg and output from lsusb.

Cheers,

--
Laugh while you can
From: Loki Harfagr on
Thu, 08 Jul 2010 16:07:27 +0000, Mike Jones did cat :

> Responding to Loki Harfagr:
>
>> Thu, 08 Jul 2010 12:43:02 +0000, Mike Jones did cat :
>>
>>> Just got a Panasonic FP2 camera. Having fun so far, but the USB data
>>> transfer to PC is painfully slow. Its supposed to be USB-2, so I'm
>>> thinking I need to do something to enable the higher speed USB-2 when
>>> mounting it?
>>>
>>> Clues required at this time. ;)
>>>

>>> XP = alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.slackware FU = alt.os.linux
>>
>> what's the output of this check?
>> lsmod | grep hci_
>

> Nothing.
>
> However...
>
> tail -f /var/log/messages
>
> ...does give me
>
> "kernel: usb 2-4: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd"

ah yup, damn luck, that's not ehci

> ...and http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2003/10/2927.ars
>
> ...tells me I don't have a USB-2 device, I have a USB-1 device.
>
> D'oh!
>
> Unless I've missed something?

maybe not, you have a 'market named' usb2 device, that mostly means it's
not the initial USB1.0, now maybe there are special things to do with your
camera menu to have it use another usb type?
(though on the Dpreview site they list it as a simple "FullSpeed USB2.0")

Anyway aren't 12Mbps quite more than enough for a camera?
(or is that not a still pic camera? or maybe just because you
take too many pix and use it as an external HD ;-)