From: Cat 22 on
I have this in my ~/.vimrc but no matter what colors i choose below
nothing changes when i restart vim (in console, not gui)
What i really want to do, is change the search highlighting colors
but until i can get them to change i cant experiment with the color
selection.

if has("syntax")
syntax on " Syntax highlighting
endif
highlight search ctermbg=green ctermfg=yellow

I also tried
:highlight search ctermbg=green ctermfg=yellow
:highlight search cterm=Bold ctermbg=green ctermfg=yellow
from within vim but nothing seems to change

Another oddity, is vim isnt using my ~/.vimrc unless i specify
vim -u ~/.vimrc <filename>
BTW: i cant find an official document detailing the settings in
..vimrc - is there such a thing around anywhere?

system: mandriva 2010.0 x86_64
vim: version 7.2.259

Thanks
Cat22

From: J G Miller on
On Sunday, July 4th, 2010 at 14:05:22h -0700, Cat 22 wrote:

> I have this in my ~/.vimrc but no matter what colors i choose below
> nothing changes when i restart vim (in console, not gui)

Does syntax higlighting work for you at all?

If it does, then ignore this irrelevant suggestion.

So ...

For syntax highlighting to work you have to pull in the necessary
files from the vim<version> directory, which is done with the
runtimepath variable.

I have mine set to

set runtimepath=~/.vim,/etc/vim,/usr/share/vim/vimfiles,/usr/share/vim/addons,
/usr/share/vim/vim72,/usr/share/vim/vimfiles,/usr/share/vim/addons/after,
~/.vim/after

If I do not have the correct version set above as in /usr/share/vim/vim72
I get no colors at all. Set your version number appropriately according
to the directory name on your system.
From: Jim Whitby on
On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 14:05:22 -0700, Cat 22 wrote:

<snip>
> Another oddity, is vim isnt using my ~/.vimrc unless i specify vim -u
> ~/.vimrc <filename>
> BTW: i cant find an official document detailing the settings in .vimrc -
> is there such a thing around anywhere?
>
> system: mandriva 2010.0 x86_64
> vim: version 7.2.259
>
> Thanks
> Cat22

A good starting place is:
http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/starting.html#vimrc

--
Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent.
-- Walt Kelly
From: David W. Hodgins on
On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 17:05:22 -0400, Cat 22 <cat22(a)invalid.org> wrote:

> BTW: i cant find an official document detailing the settings in
> .vimrc - is there such a thing around anywhere?

See /usr/share/doc/vim-common/doc/options.txt

My guess is that xrdb is overriding the settings. See the output
of "xrdb -query", and look at the Vim entries.

To override those, create a file such as ~./xrdb.settings, and
then add a script to ~/.kde4/Autostart with ...

$ cat ~/.kde4/Autostart/xrdb.merge
#!/bin/bash

xrdb -merge ~/.xrdb.settings

I haven't yet found documentation for all of the xrdb settings,
(haven't looked hard) but have used the following to override some
of the other settings (for testing only, not currently using them).

$ cat .xrdb.settings
Xft.antialias: 1
Xft.autohint: 1
Xft.hinting: 1
Xft.hintstyle: hintslight
Xft.rgba: rgb

Regards, Dave Hodgins

From: J G Miller on
On Sunday, July 4th, 2010 at 18:28:57h -0400, David W. Hodgins suggested:

> My guess is that xrdb is overriding the settings. See the output of
> "xrdb -query", and look at the Vim entries.

If vim is running in a terminal, how can RESOURCE_MANAGER have any
affect on the output of vim, which does not have code for reading
RESOURCE_MANAGER properties? vim is not an X11 program, although
gvim is, being GTK based.

If RESOURCE_MANAGER properties are relevant, then they will be
for the settings of the terminal in which the vim process is
running, if it is xterm, rxvt, urxvt etc.

To the best of my knowledge neither Gnome Terminal nor Konsole
consult the RESOURCE_MANAGER properties.