From: Cat 22 on

( my geneology: _http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epiYdlMoH1k )

From: Cousin Stanley on

> I have this in my ~/.vimrc but no matter what colors i choose below
> nothing changes when i restart vim (in console, not gui)

The following lines in the .vimrc file
enable syntax colors for me under debian linux ....

:syntax enable

:colorscheme name_of_scheme

where name_of_scheme.vim is a file
in the /usr/share/vim/vim72/colors dir ....

--
Stanley C. Kitching
Human Being

From: Peter D. on
on Mon, 5 Jul 2010 07:05
Cat 22 wrote:

> I have this in my ~/.vimrc but no matter what colors i choose below
> nothing changes when i restart vim (in console, not gui)
> What i really want to do, is change the search highlighting colors
> but until i can get them to change i cant experiment with the color
> selection.
>
> if has("syntax")
> syntax on " Syntax highlighting
> endif

Which syntax? There are rather a lot to choose from.

> highlight search ctermbg=green ctermfg=yellow
>
> I also tried
> :highlight search ctermbg=green ctermfg=yellow
> :highlight search cterm=Bold ctermbg=green ctermfg=yellow
> from within vim but nothing seems to change

try
:set
or
:set all
to see what is going on.

> Another oddity, is vim isnt using my ~/.vimrc unless i specify
> vim -u ~/.vimrc <filename>

There are lots of places that vim can be configured. What is
in /etc/vim/ ?

> BTW: i cant find an official document detailing the settings in
> .vimrc - is there such a thing around anywhere?

Yes, lots.

Inside vim type, :help

Outside vim type, man vim, or urpmi vimguide.

--
Peter D.
Sig goes here...

From: Loki Harfagr on
Mon, 05 Jul 2010 22:29:21 +1000, Peter D. did cat :

> Inside vim type, :help

Inside vim it is too dark to type ,-)

use 'vim -u NONE' and be happy forever after ;-)