From: JBJ (4920) on
Hello, I finally got hold of the desired linux version - based on Ubuntu
and Debian - YLMF, the only problem I have is that the monitor size only
goes up to 1024x768, eventhough my IBM P72 monitor can handle up to
1280x1024 and the same goes for the nVidia Vanta 16Mb card I have.

Also it would seem that this command don't work anymore:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-org

Nothing happens after I press Enter, I just get back to the prompt. Thas is
both on my user account and if I do a "sudo su" first and get the root,
nothing happens.

This is what I should get
http://tuxicity.wordpress.com/2006/12/02/configure-your-resolution-in-ubuntu-and-debian/

So my questions are how do I get my nVidia Vanta installed and how do I get
the monitor set up to 1280x1024?

I allready looked in xorg.conf and the card is not there, neither is the
modes for the resolution, there is only color dept.

Synaptic package manager has 3 nVidia drivers but its not specified which
one is for the Vanta. There is nvidia-96, nvidia-173 and nvidia-current -
which one should I use? I tried installing all of them at once and now
nVidia X server is installed, but it will not work since it says that I'm
not using the nVidia Xserver driver????

Could it be that some config tool is not installed by the YLMF install? In
that case what, and how do I install it?

YLMF forum is in chinese that why I'm asking here:)

--

Mvh / with kind regards

JBJ (4920)

From: JBJ (4920) on
"JBJ (4920)" <thunder(a)spoergmig.invalid> skrev i meddelelsen
> Hello, I finally got hold of the desired linux version - based on Ubuntu
> and Debian - YLMF, the only problem I have is that the monitor size only
> goes up to 1024x768, eventhough my IBM P72 monitor can handle up to
> 1280x1024 and the same goes for the nVidia Vanta 16Mb card I have.
>
> Also it would seem that this command don't work anymore:
>
> sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-org
>
> Nothing happens after I press Enter, I just get back to the prompt. Thas
> is both on my user account and if I do a "sudo su" first and get the
> root, nothing happens.
>
> This is what I should get
> http://tuxicity.wordpress.com/2006/12/02/configure-your-resolution-in-ubuntu-and-debian/
>
> So my questions are how do I get my nVidia Vanta installed and how do I
> get the monitor set up to 1280x1024?
>
> I allready looked in xorg.conf and the card is not there, neither is the
> modes for the resolution, there is only color dept.
>
> Synaptic package manager has 3 nVidia drivers but its not specified which
> one is for the Vanta. There is nvidia-96, nvidia-173 and nvidia-current -
> which one should I use? I tried installing all of them at once and now
> nVidia X server is installed, but it will not work since it says that I'm
> not using the nVidia Xserver driver????
>
> Could it be that some config tool is not installed by the YLMF install?
> In that case what, and how do I install it?
>
> YLMF forum is in chinese that why I'm asking here:)
>
> --
>
> Mvh / with kind regards
>
> JBJ (4920)

This is my monitor:

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/visuals/p72sony.pdf

under technical features in the left side, there is preset modes. But I
don't know how to use them with xorg.conf

--

Mvh / with kind regards

JBJ (4920)

From: mjt on
On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 03:11:38 +0200
"JBJ \(4920\)" <thunder(a)spoergmig.invalid> wrote:

> Hello, I finally got hold of the desired linux version - based on
> Ubuntu and Debian - YLMF,

No - you chose a Linux distro based on your desire to have
one that *looks like* Windows. That was your ONLY criteria
for a Linux distro, despite the warnings of responses.

[snipped]
> Could it be that some config tool is not installed by the
> YLMF install? In that case what, and how do I install it?

I'm sure that 99.99% of the people out here have ZERO
experience with "ylmf". That was one of my speaking points,
among others.

> YLMF forum is in chinese that why I'm asking here:)

Another point I made. Did you *not* read my recommendations?

It shocks me that people ONLY choose a product (whether it
be software of a shelf product) based only on LOOKS. What's
the old saying, "don't judge a book by its cover".

Your original post was "Which Linux" on 7/2/2010 10:54 and
you've come back with issues on 7/3/2010 20:11 - 34 hours.
What does that say about the Linux distro you've chosen?

I suggest you get with "Ann Knight", who made the suggestion
for you to use "ylmf" - hopefully Ann has answers ...

--
Real software engineers don't debug programs, they verify correctness.
This process doesn't necessarily involve execution of anything on a

From: propman on
On 10-07-03 09:13 PM, mjt wrote:

> Your original post was "Which Linux" on 7/2/2010 10:54 and
> you've come back with issues on 7/3/2010 20:11 - 34 hours.
> What does that say about the Linux distro you've chosen?

People run into problems while installing a linux distro and immediately
right after installation is finished (typically grub, video and wireless
being the most common). Your point has no point imho....

From: Darklight on
JBJ (4920) wrote:

> YLMF

Have you considered that your hardware might just be to old.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Which Linux?
Next: vimrc and colors