From: mjt on
On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 22:27:58 -0700
propman <propman(a)nowhere.ca> wrote:

> On 10-07-03 09:13 PM, mjt wrote:
>
> > Your original post was "Which Linux" on 7/2/2010 10:54 and
> > you've come back with issues on 7/3/2010 20:11 - 34 hours.
> > What does that say about the Linux distro you've chosen?
>
> People run into problems while installing a linux distro and
> immediately right after installation is finished (typically grub,
> video and wireless being the most common). Your point has no point
> imho....

Of course, since you've snipped only the portion of my post
that you're interested in responding to. You've snipped all
the relevant content which I expressed, which is that the OP
declined to consider a MAINSTREAM distro with a long history
of support and contribution to community.

Do you think some off-shoot Chinese distro with a forum that
is in "Han" is conducive to a be properly supported?

--
For large values of one, one equals two, for small values of two.
<<< Remove YOURSHOES to email me >>>

From: mjt on
On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 11:06:18 +0200
"JBJ \(4920\)" <thunder(a)spoergmig.invalid> wrote:

> But no worries I think I solved the nvidia problem myself at 4am this
> morning, you see I don't quit when I have a problem.

Congrats ... I'd rather have a community I can communicate
with to resolve any issues I might come across ... rather
than spending my waking hours until 4am figuring it out myself.

Times have changed. Yes, there was a time when I stayed up until
4am fixing stuff, but that was back in the early-mid 90's, when
there wasn't a strong Linux community or established distros.

--
We have only two things to worry about: That things will never get
back to normal, and that they already have.

From: Peter D. on
J.O. Aho wrote:

> JBJ (4920) wrote:

[snip]
>> Synaptic package manager has 3 nVidia drivers but its not specified
>> which one is for the Vanta. There is nvidia-96, nvidia-173 and
>> nvidia-current - which one should I use?
>
> None, the support for your graphics card was dropped in version 71.86, so
> you will be stuck with the nv driver, which is quite limited in comparison
> to the nvidia driver.
[snip]

Correct, none of the above, but nVidia still maintains the
71.86 series drivers (last update Feb 2010),
they just have not added any new features for a very long time.
Look at <http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us>
and select "Legacy".

The OP has a choice of; nvidia-71, nv, nouveau, VESA and VGA.
Not all of which will be easy to install in all distributions.

--
Peter D.
Sig goes here...
From: Peter D. on
JBJ (4920) wrote:

> Hello, I finally got hold of the desired linux version - based on Ubuntu
> and Debian - YLMF, the only problem I have is that the monitor size only
> goes up to 1024x768, eventhough my IBM P72 monitor can handle up to
> 1280x1024 and the same goes for the nVidia Vanta 16Mb card I have.
[snip]

You might find useful information in /var/log/Xorg.0.log

--
Peter D.
Sig goes here...