From: J.O. Aho on
JBJ (4920) wrote:
> Hello, I finally got hold of the desired linux version - based on Ubuntu
> and Debian - YLMF, the only problem I have is that the monitor size only
> goes up to 1024x768, eventhough my IBM P72 monitor can handle up to
> 1280x1024 and the same goes for the nVidia Vanta 16Mb card I have.

What did they say in the ylmf forums?

> Synaptic package manager has 3 nVidia drivers but its not specified
> which one is for the Vanta. There is nvidia-96, nvidia-173 and
> nvidia-current - which one should I use?

None, the support for your graphics card was dropped in version 71.86, so you
will be stuck with the nv driver, which is quite limited in comparison to the
nvidia driver.

> I tried installing all of them
> at once and now nVidia X server is installed, but it will not work since
> it says that I'm not using the nVidia Xserver driver????

Seem like there is yet another command that has to be run to actually enable
the driver (you can only have one activated at one time), which command it is,
I have no idea, but I'm sure you can find it in the distro forums.

> Could it be that some config tool is not installed by the YLMF install?
> In that case what, and how do I install it?
>
> YLMF forum is in chinese that why I'm asking here:)

Learn to read/write Chinese then or switch to a dstro where you can get
support in a language you master.

--

//Aho
From: JBJ (4920) on
"mjt" <myswtestYOURSHOES(a)gmail.com> skrev i meddelelsen
> On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 03:11:38 +0200
> "JBJ \(4920\)" <thunder(a)spoergmig.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Hello, I finally got hold of the desired linux version - based on
>> Ubuntu and Debian - YLMF,
>
> No - you chose a Linux distro based on your desire to have
> one that *looks like* Windows. That was your ONLY criteria
> for a Linux distro, despite the warnings of responses.
>

> [snipped]
>> Could it be that some config tool is not installed by the
>> YLMF install? In that case what, and how do I install it?
>
> I'm sure that 99.99% of the people out here have ZERO
> experience with "ylmf". That was one of my speaking points,
> among others.
>
>> YLMF forum is in chinese that why I'm asking here:)
>
> Another point I made. Did you *not* read my recommendations?
>
> It shocks me that people ONLY choose a product (whether it
> be software of a shelf product) based only on LOOKS. What's
> the old saying, "don't judge a book by its cover".
>
> Your original post was "Which Linux" on 7/2/2010 10:54 and
> you've come back with issues on 7/3/2010 20:11 - 34 hours.
> What does that say about the Linux distro you've chosen?
>
> I suggest you get with "Ann Knight", who made the suggestion
> for you to use "ylmf" - hopefully Ann has answers ...
>
> --
> Real software engineers don't debug programs, they verify correctness.
> This process doesn't necessarily involve execution of anything on a
> computer, except perhaps a Correctness Verification Aid package.
> <<< Remove YOURSHOES to email me >>>

Actually I have had the same problems(and more) with Ubuntu. That was the
9.04, but here I found the answer on the net for my Thinkpad 770Z. YLMF is
based on Ubuntu with gnome, it just looks different so the problem is in
the Ubuntu tool and config.

But no worries I think I solved the nvidia problem myself at 4am this
morning, you see I don't quit when I have a problem.

This is why I love Puppy linux, I get xorg config before install so I can
choose all the correct settings. That feature seem to be gone from Ubuntu.

--

Mvh / with kind regards

JBJ (4920)

From: Jasen Betts on
On 2010-07-04, JBJ (4920) <thunder(a)spoergmig.invalid> wrote:
> Hello, I finally got hold of the desired linux version - based on Ubuntu
> and Debian - YLMF, the only problem I have is that the monitor size only
> goes up to 1024x768, eventhough my IBM P72 monitor can handle up to
> 1280x1024 and the same goes for the nVidia Vanta 16Mb card I have.

install xrandr (gui-based resize and rotate tools)

> Also it would seem that this command don't work anymore:
>
> sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-org

package is xserverr-xorg

xf86 used to have a gui-based setup tool, but I don't think xorg still
has that.

> This is what I should get
> http://tuxicity.wordpress.com/2006/12/02/configure-your-resolution-in-ubuntu-and-debian/

I haven't seen that for a while.

> Synaptic package manager has 3 nVidia drivers but its not specified which
> one is for the Vanta. There is nvidia-96, nvidia-173 and nvidia-current -
> which one should I use? I tried installing all of them at once and now
> nVidia X server is installed, but it will not work since it says that I'm
> not using the nVidia Xserver driver????

use lspci to get the hardware ID and check thex server documetation.
but for a 15 meg card I expect you need nvidia-legacy
which I think is availabe in debian lenny.

> Could it be that some config tool is not installed by the YLMF install? In
> that case what, and how do I install it?
>
> YLMF forum is in chinese that why I'm asking here:)

you could try google translate :-)

From: JBJ (4920) on
"J.O. Aho" <user(a)example.net> skrev i meddelelsen
> JBJ (4920) wrote:
>> Hello, I finally got hold of the desired linux version - based on Ubuntu
>> and Debian - YLMF, the only problem I have is that the monitor size only
>> goes up to 1024x768, eventhough my IBM P72 monitor can handle up to
>> 1280x1024 and the same goes for the nVidia Vanta 16Mb card I have.
>
> What did they say in the ylmf forums?
>

>> Synaptic package manager has 3 nVidia drivers but its not specified
>> which one is for the Vanta. There is nvidia-96, nvidia-173 and
>> nvidia-current - which one should I use?
>
> None, the support for your graphics card was dropped in version 71.86, so
> you
> will be stuck with the nv driver, which is quite limited in comparison to
> the
> nvidia driver.
>

>> I tried installing all of them
>> at once and now nVidia X server is installed, but it will not work since
>> it says that I'm not using the nVidia Xserver driver????
>
> Seem like there is yet another command that has to be run to actually
> enable
> the driver (you can only have one activated at one time), which command
> it is,
> I have no idea, but I'm sure you can find it in the distro forums.
>

>> Could it be that some config tool is not installed by the YLMF install?
>> In that case what, and how do I install it?
>>
>> YLMF forum is in chinese that why I'm asking here:)
>
> Learn to read/write Chinese then or switch to a dstro where you can get
> support in a language you master.
>

> --
>
> //Aho

I speak danish, english, swedish, understand a bit tagalog, speak a few
words chinese, japanese, thai, tagalog.

I tried Ubuntu and most of the variations of it - not for the looks but for
getting a new starting point(OS) - and because its the most supported
outhere people seems to stick to that and don't try something else - but
Ubuntu has alot of "flaws", one being that when it comes to configuration
its not that userfriendly, if it should be that your HW is not correctly
set up by the install. Second, most of the solutions to HW problems, refer
to tools that are no longer in the distro.

Puppy Linux on the other hand, has Xorg config when you install it so that
you can choose which HW you have, therefore its not a problem once its
installed. Should you make a mistake, then you can re-run the Xorg config
and correct the error - this is really missing in Ubuntu.
--

Mvh / with kind regards

JBJ (4920)

From: ray on
On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 03:11:38 +0200, JBJ \(4920\) wrote:

> Hello, I finally got hold of the desired linux version - based on Ubuntu
> and Debian - YLMF, the only problem I have is that the monitor size only
> goes up to 1024x768, eventhough my IBM P72 monitor can handle up to
> 1280x1024 and the same goes for the nVidia Vanta 16Mb card I have.
>
> Also it would seem that this command don't work anymore:
>
> sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-org
>
> Nothing happens after I press Enter, I just get back to the prompt. Thas
> is both on my user account and if I do a "sudo su" first and get the
> root, nothing happens.
>
> This is what I should get
> http://tuxicity.wordpress.com/2006/12/02/configure-your-resolution-in-
ubuntu-and-debian/

> So my questions are how do I get my nVidia Vanta installed and how do I
> get the monitor set up to 1280x1024?
>
> I allready looked in xorg.conf and the card is not there, neither is the
> modes for the resolution, there is only color dept.
>
> Synaptic package manager has 3 nVidia drivers but its not specified
> which one is for the Vanta. There is nvidia-96, nvidia-173 and
> nvidia-current - which one should I use? I tried installing all of them
> at once and now nVidia X server is installed, but it will not work since
> it says that I'm not using the nVidia Xserver driver????
>
> Could it be that some config tool is not installed by the YLMF install?
> In that case what, and how do I install it?
>
> YLMF forum is in chinese that why I'm asking here:)

I really think you'd have a much better experience with a more 'mainline'
distribution.

Since you've decided it's best to confuse your students by presenting
them with Linux that looks like MS - have you tried xpde (xp desktop
environment)? I've not looked at that for some time, but not too long ago
it was available to install on most distributions.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Which Linux?
Next: vimrc and colors