From: silkunicorn@gmail.com on
Hi,

I am new to downloading par and par2 files, so please excuse my
ignorance. I am using Mac OS X 10.2.8.

I have just downloaded some par2 files from
"alt.binaries.multimedia.scifi" group and was able to use a Mac program
called "Chunkjoiner" to join them together. However the finished file
has no file extension and it showed as "Document" in the folder.
Please kindly tell me how can I watch this downloaded video and what
extension should I change to? I hope I have given you enough
information, if not, please let me know.

Thank you in advance for any kind assistance anyone might provide.

Sincerely

From: Dave Balderstone on

Search for "par" at www.versiontracker.com
From: Gerry on
"silkunicorn(a)gmail.com" <silkunicorn(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to downloading par and par2 files, so please excuse my
> ignorance. I am using Mac OS X 10.2.8.
>
> I have just downloaded some par2 files from
> "alt.binaries.multimedia.scifi" group and was able to use a Mac program
> called "Chunkjoiner" to join them together. However the finished file
> has no file extension and it showed as "Document" in the folder.
> Please kindly tell me how can I watch this downloaded video and what
> extension should I change to? I hope I have given you enough
> information, if not, please let me know.
>
> Thank you in advance for any kind assistance anyone might provide.
>
> Sincerely

Check out MacPar
From: Garner Miller on
In article <1154150525.037475.204810(a)b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
"silkunicorn(a)gmail.com" <silkunicorn(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I have just downloaded some par2 files from
> "alt.binaries.multimedia.scifi" group and was able to use a Mac program
> called "Chunkjoiner" to join them together. However the finished file
> has no file extension and it showed as "Document" in the folder.

PAR2 files are more than simply split files; they have error-correction
information in them, and need a special program to pout them back
together. I recommend MacPAR Deluxe:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~gp/MacPAR_deLuxe/

You'll also want to get a copy of Split&Concat, which MPD can control,
which will will replace Chunk Joiner:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~loekjehe/Split&Concat/

Do note that MacPAR Deluxe requires OS 10.3.9; a *lot* of the software
out there requires that OS version at a minimum. If you can find a used
copy at a reasonable price, it's worth the ugprade. 10.3 runs a lot
faster than 10.2 on every machine I've tried it on.
From: silkunicorn@gmail.com on
Hi Guys,

Thank you for all of your responses. I did download MacPar (I cannot
use MacPar Deluxe as it requires OS 10.3.9). When I dragged all the
Par2 files onto the MacPar icon, the MacPar OSX window appears and
followed by the following error message appears everytime: "Error;
Please check if there are no strange or forbidden characters in the
name of your folder or folder path. The program will quit now."

This error message appears with other download files with either "par2"
or "rar" extensions.

Please advise what should I do next? Thank you.

Gerry wrote:

> Check out MacPar

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3