From: Leo on
I'm shifting some of my old audio cassettes to cd and find that some of
them are just a little long to squeeze onto a cd. Is there any way of
compressing an aiff file (just a little! the sound quality loss isn't a
problem since the cassettes aren't perfect to start with) to burn on a
cd that will work in a regular cd player?

I tried the various compression options that Sound Studio offers, and
they all seemed to work when I burnt a cd with iTunes. But then when I
tried the whole album, no go, still wouldn't fit - I guess iTunes
decompresses the files as it burns and I didn't notice with my test cd
since there was plenty of space.

Any suggestions? I don't really want to split 850Mb over two cds
(partly because, of course, the original was a single cassette).

Thanks!

Leo.

From: Erik Richard Sørensen on
Hei Leo

Leo wrote:
> I'm shifting some of my old audio cassettes to cd and find that some of
> them are just a little long to squeeze onto a cd. Is there any way of
> compressing an aiff file (just a little! the sound quality loss isn't a
> problem since the cassettes aren't perfect to start with) to burn on a
> cd that will work in a regular cd player?

The only compression format that's really useable is the AIFC format,
but not all std. CD players in a HiFi system is able to take advantage
of this format.

> I tried the various compression options that Sound Studio offers, and
> they all seemed to work when I burnt a cd with iTunes. But then when I
> tried the whole album, no go, still wouldn't fit - I guess iTunes
> decompresses the files as it burns and I didn't notice with my test cd
> since there was plenty of space.

Yes, when you burn a compressed file - made with SoundStudio, Amadeus II
or other apps that can compress the AIFF files, the burner program again
will expand the file to a normal CD audio file, and you won't be able to
gain any advantage of the compression.

And to all this come that the compression is not lossless, - it's rather
easy to hear that the quality has lowered quite a lot. - I've just made
the experiment with a 42:32 min. radio recording with the size of
432,4mb in normal AIFF format. With a 3:1 compression made using Amadeus
II the size is down to 72,4mb, but dragging the file to fx. Toast 7.0.1
expands it again to 432,4mb - but with a rather high loss in both treble
and bass. With a 6:1 compression it's even worse.:-(

> Any suggestions? I don't really want to split 850Mb over two cds
> (partly because, of course, the original was a single cassette).

There is no way you can press 850mb onto a 80min/700mb CD. You might be
able to do it, if the size was as low as 725mb, since then any empty
space in the file will be erased, and a 80min. CD can go up to apprx. 82
mins..

Using a 90min/800mb CD media is not recommendable, since not all CD
players in a HiFi system is able to detect these medias, and you'll get
a read error on your CD. - And to this also come that neither Finder,
nor iTuynes support the 800mb media and only will put about the 700mb
onto the 800mb media.

And the only two programs that I'm aware of that supports the AIFC file
format is Cubase and LogicAudio Pro - e.g. full professional audio
programs...

So I don't think it's possible to make any kind of useable compression
for normal audio CDs.

But if your CD player supports mp3 files, you could make the files into
mp3 with a bitrate of 320kbps - the best mp3 quality. by this method you
fx. can have all 3 double MCs from The Beatles - 1962-66 (88min.),
1966-70 (92min), The White Album (103min) - on a single mp3 CD. - That's
the best 'compression' that I can recommend.:-)

cheers, Erik Richard

KMLDenmark by Erik Richard Sørensen, Member of ADC
<kmldenmark_NOSP(a)M_stofanet.dk>
*Music Recording, Editing & Publishing - Also Smaller Quantities
*Software - For Theological Education - And For Physically Impaired
*Nisus - The Future in Text & Mail Processing <http://www.nisus.com>

From: Mike Rosenberg on
Warren Oates <warren.oates(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > cd that will work in a regular cd player?
>
> Why not use MP3? You can a whole bunch of cassettes on one CD-R.

That would prevent him playing the CD in a regular CD player as he
desires.

--
Mike Rosenberg
<http://www.cafepress.com/macconsult,macconsult4> Mac-themed T-shirts
From: matt neuburg on
Leo <leo_bloom476(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> I'm shifting some of my old audio cassettes to cd and find that some of
> them are just a little long to squeeze onto a cd. Is there any way of
> compressing an aiff file (just a little! the sound quality loss isn't a
> problem since the cassettes aren't perfect to start with) to burn on a
> cd that will work in a regular cd player?

No, not with a "regular cd player". Some cd players can now also play
mp3s, though, in which case you could burn an mp3 cd using iTunes or
Toast and that would work. There would be some reduction in quality, but
since you are starting with audio cassette, this might not be
noticeable, as you say yourself. Check your cd player's specs to see if
it can play mp3 cds.

What I do in this case, however, is use the computer as the cd player.
(I have a computer which serves this purpose only; it is hooked right
into my stereo system.) This means that I can use other formats. There
is a format called FLAC that compresses with *no* loss of quality; it
doesn't compress very much, but it can be just enough to fit a whole
opera on a CD. And there is of course also mp3. m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = matt(a)tidbits.com, http://www.tidbits.com/matt/
Tiger - http://www.takecontrolbooks.com/tiger-customizing.html
From: Reginald Dwight on
In article <1150151252.763689.137300(a)y43g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
"Leo" <leo_bloom476(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> I'm shifting some of my old audio cassettes to cd and find that some of
> them are just a little long to squeeze onto a cd. Is there any way of
> compressing an aiff file (just a little! the sound quality loss isn't a
> problem since the cassettes aren't perfect to start with) to burn on a
> cd that will work in a regular cd player?

The CD is time length-based ultimately. It ain't gonna happen.

> I tried the various compression options that Sound Studio offers, and
> they all seemed to work when I burnt a cd with iTunes. But then when I
> tried the whole album, no go, still wouldn't fit - I guess iTunes
> decompresses the files as it burns and I didn't notice with my test cd
> since there was plenty of space.

It's all length-based, ultimately. You could have a mono 90 minute AAC
file at 8kHz that weighs in at 2MB and it's still not gonna fit. This
isn't a compression issue.

> Any suggestions? I don't really want to split 850Mb over two cds
> (partly because, of course, the original was a single cassette).

Side A on CD 1 and Side B on CD 2? How 'bout a DVD of the whole thing
instead?
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: iDVD6 - Loading Themes