From: dorayme on
In article <hhpj11$qss$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
Gus Richter <gusrichter(a)netscape.net> wrote:

> On 1/2/2010 4:51 PM, dorayme wrote:
> > In article<hho6gj$7um$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
> > Gus Richter<gusrichter(a)netscape.net> wrote:

> >> Note the title of the stuff below and try it.
> >>
> >> <!DOCTYPE html ...
> >
> > Great quoting Gus, demonstrates comprehensive reading! Never mind third
> > party readers though ...
> >
> > Happy New Year!
> >

> Thank you for the cynical sentiment following the terse comment. It
> really does pain me that I didn't do justice by being careful, check my
> work and validate. Get out your cat o' nine tails. In any case, here is
> a corrected and validated version. Oh and Happy New Year to you too.

I had not meant to point out any mistakes in your HTML. I was just
trying to make you feel terrible and ghastly pain for cutting out my
name in your quoting. <g>

--
dorayme
From: Gus Richter on
On 1/3/2010 2:01 PM, dorayme wrote:
> In article<hhpj11$qss$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
> Gus Richter<gusrichter(a)netscape.net> wrote:
>
>> On 1/2/2010 4:51 PM, dorayme wrote:

>>> Great quoting Gus, demonstrates comprehensive reading! Never mind third
>>> party readers though ...
>>>
>>> Happy New Year!
>>>

>> Thank you for the cynical sentiment following the terse comment. It
>> really does pain me that I didn't do justice by being careful, check my
>> work and validate. Get out your cat o' nine tails. In any case, here is
>> a corrected and validated version. Oh and Happy New Year to you too.
>>

> I had not meant to point out any mistakes in your HTML. I was just
> trying to make you feel terrible and ghastly pain for cutting out my
> name in your quoting.<g>

Oh, you mean this part:

<quote>
It [table] is the simplest and most apt solution and
one least likely to play up cross browser wise.
</quote>

Which I thought was meant in jest. (See my "last" recommended solution.)
Or this:

<quote>
To try to control the position of a UL, on the other
hand, does mean you are likely to use left margin and/or padding.
</quote>

Item #2 in my "Two Points" of my "last" recommended solution contains a
_gem_ regarding List positioning to avoid the can of worms.

--
Gus

From: dorayme on
In article <hhqs3v$v5h$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
Gus Richter <gusrichter(a)netscape.net> wrote:

> On 1/3/2010 2:01 PM, dorayme wrote:
> > In article<hhpj11$qss$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
> > Gus Richter<gusrichter(a)netscape.net> wrote:

> >> Thank you for the cynical sentiment following the terse comment. It
> >> really does pain me that I didn't do justice by being careful, check my
> >> work and validate. Get out your cat o' nine tails. In any case, here is
> >> a corrected and validated version. Oh and Happy New Year to you too.
> >>

> > I had not meant to point out any mistakes in your HTML. I was just
> > trying to make you feel terrible and ghastly pain for cutting out my
> > name in your quoting.<g>
> >

> Oh, you mean this part:
>
> <quote>
> It [table] is the simplest and most apt solution and
> one least likely to play up cross browser wise.
> </quote>
>
> Which I thought was meant in jest. (See my "last" recommended solution.)
> Or this:
>
> <quote>
> To try to control the position of a UL, on the other
> hand, does mean you are likely to use left margin and/or padding.
> </quote>
>
> Item #2 in my "Two Points" of my "last" recommended solution contains a
> _gem_ regarding List positioning to avoid the can of worms.

No, no, Gus, my mind is on holidays, I meant nothing as deep as this!
Merely that you failed to provide any context in your post that went:

On 1/2/2010 8:46 AM, Stan Brown wrote:
> Am I missing something?

Note the title of the stuff below and try it.

I am meaning to take a look at your markup soon... Cheers...

--
dorayme
From: Stan Brown on
Sun, 03 Jan 2010 03:03:43 -0500 from Gus Richter
<gusrichter(a)netscape.net>:

> On 1/2/2010 4:51 PM, dorayme wrote:
> > In article<hho6gj$7um$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
> > Gus Richter<gusrichter(a)netscape.net> wrote:

> >> Note the title of the stuff below and try it.
> >>
> >> <!DOCTYPE html ...
> >
> > Great quoting Gus, demonstrates comprehensive reading! Never mind third
> > party readers though ...
> >
> > Happy New Year!
> >

> Thank you for the cynical sentiment following the terse comment. It
> really does pain me that I didn't do justice by being careful, check my
> work and validate. Get out your cat o' nine tails. In any case, here is
> a corrected and validated version. Oh and Happy New Year to you too.

Thanks for posting, but unfortunately, though your new version does
validate, it doesn't work in IE6. The paragraphs begin not on the
same line as the captions but on the next line.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
HTML 4.01 spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/
validator: http://validator.w3.org/
CSS 2.1 spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/
validator: http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
Why We Won't Help You:
http://diveintomark.org/archives/2003/05/05/why_we_wont_help_you
From: Stan Brown on
Sat, 02 Jan 2010 11:06:56 -0600 from Ben C <spamspam(a)spam.eggs>:

> On 2010-01-02, Stan Brown <the_stan_brown(a)fastmail.fm> wrote:
> > Any way to fix the top-margin problem?
>
> Here's one:
>
> p.summarize {
> margin-left: 6em;
> position: relative;
> }
> p.summarize span {
> display: block; position: absolute; left: -6em; top: 0;
> }
>
> Here we make the Ps relatively positioned, not so we can move them
> themselves, but so they become "containing blocks" for the spans.

Thanks, Ben. This works in IE6, at least, and I'll try it in IE7
tomorrow.

> > I've reread the spec sections 9.4 and 9.8 yet again, but I still
> > don't understand it. Is there a correct but clearer explanation
> > somewhere?
>
> All there is to know about position: relative is:
>
> 1. The offset specified with top/left/bottom/right is relative to where
> the box would have been if it were position: static.
> 2. It leaves a hole behind-- everything else flows around its original
> un-offsetted position as if it hadn't moved.
> 3. It creates a containing-block for positioned descendents.
> 4. Relatively positioned boxes are stacked higher than normal, and you
> can control their stacking with z-index.

Thanks for this too. I had noticed the hole during my
experimentation, but now it makes more sense to me.