From: Gus Richter on
On 1/3/2010 3:42 PM, Stan Brown wrote:
> Sun, 03 Jan 2010 03:03:43 -0500 from Gus Richter
> <gusrichter(a)netscape.net>:
>>
>> On 1/2/2010 4:51 PM, dorayme wrote:

>>> Great quoting Gus, demonstrates comprehensive reading! Never mind third
>>> party readers though ...
>>>
>>> Happy New Year!
>>>

>> Thank you for the cynical sentiment following the terse comment. It
>> really does pain me that I didn't do justice by being careful, check my
>> work and validate. Get out your cat o' nine tails. In any case, here is
>> a corrected and validated version. Oh and Happy New Year to you too.
>
> Thanks for posting, but unfortunately, though your new version does
> validate, it doesn't work in IE6. The paragraphs begin not on the
> same line as the captions but on the next line.

I wonder which IE6 you're using, because it looks perfect in my IE6 -
that's to say that IE6 and Fx3.5.6 both look the same.

--
Gus

From: Gus Richter on
On 1/3/2010 3:30 PM, dorayme wrote:

> I am meaning to take a look at your markup soon... Cheers...

In that case, change the first 5 lines, in order to stay in step, to:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<head>
<title>KISS Way</title>

--
Gus

From: dorayme on
In article <MPG.25a9182955e8ea698be27(a)news.individual.net>,
Stan Brown <the_stan_brown(a)fastmail.fm> wrote:

> Tue, 22 Dec 2009 07:40:09 +1100 from dorayme
> <doraymeRidThis(a)optusnet.com.au>:
> > Again, you need to try it for real to see the problems - mere aesthetic
> > ones in your context. Briefly, when there are bullets, you have to be
> > careful with margins and paddings (zeroing them on a UL can make the
> > bullets disappear, different browsers cook up their bullets positions a
> > bit differently). To try to control the position of a UL, on the other
> > hand, does mean you are likely to use left margin and/or padding. You
> > presently have the bullets neatly against the vertical line that can be
> > imagined to be the left of the right cells.
>
> This seems to work for me at creating a bulleted list with no
> (visible) left margin:
>
> ul.purelist { margin-left:0.6em; padding-left:0.6em }
>
> Am I missing something? I got that suggestion from this newsgroup a
> couple of years ago.

Hope it was not me you got it from! Now let's see, which of my enemies
are the most likely suspects... <g>

The problem is that different browsers make different calculations for
placing bullets. To take your style above, look at:

<head>
<title>Bullets, paddings, margins</title>
</head>
<ul style="margin-left:0.6em; padding-left:0.6em">
<li>List item</li>
<li>List item</li>
<li>List item</li>
</ul>

and see what happens to the bullets in realtion to the left border of
the list element container in different browsers. In Safari, for
example, they travel (like the moon <g>) *across* the border at certain
smaller user text settings.

--
dorayme
From: Stan Brown on
Sun, 03 Jan 2010 16:03:40 -0500 from Gus Richter
<gusrichter(a)netscape.net>:

> On 1/3/2010 3:42 PM, Stan Brown wrote:
> > Thanks for posting, but unfortunately, though your new version does
> > validate, it doesn't work in IE6. The paragraphs begin not on the
> > same line as the captions but on the next line.
> >

> I wonder which IE6 you're using, because it looks perfect in my IE6 -
> that's to say that IE6 and Fx3.5.6 both look the same.

6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158

I've got it on line at
http://www.tc3.edu/instruct/sbrown/zonkrichter.htm
The output of IE7 does look correct:
http://www.tc3.edu/instruct/sbrown/zonkrichter.jpg
and matches Firefox 3.5.6.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
HTML 4.01 spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/
validator: http://validator.w3.org/
CSS 2.1 spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/
validator: http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
Why We Won't Help You:
http://diveintomark.org/archives/2003/05/05/why_we_wont_help_you
From: Stan Brown on
Sat, 02 Jan 2010 11:06:56 -0600 from Ben C <spamspam(a)spam.eggs>:
> On 2010-01-02, Stan Brown <the_stan_brown(a)fastmail.fm> wrote:

> > Any way to fix the top-margin problem?
>
> Here's one:
>
> p.summarize {
> margin-left: 6em;
> position: relative;
> }
> p.summarize span {
> display: block; position: absolute; left: -6em; top: 0;
> }

I think this is the goods, Ben. I modified Mr. Little's code using
your styles above and put it up at
http://www.tc3.edu/instruct/sbrown/zonk_benc.htm
IE6 output looks fine, and IE7 output also looks fine:
http://www.tc3.edu/instruct/sbrown/zonk_benc.jpg

I then modified the beginning of my original page using relative and
absolute positions similar to the above:
http://www.tc3.edu/instruct/sbrown/zonk_stan.htm
Again, good in IE7
http://www.tc3.edu/instruct/sbrown/zonk_stan.jpg
and also in IE6.