From: Stan Brown on

I'm trying to establish a left margin for a summary paragraph, with
the word "Summary" in the margin. It's not working in IE7, and I'd
appreciate some help. It works fine in Firefox; see this URL:
http://www.tc3.edu/instruct/sbrown/stat/correl.htm

But in IE7 the same page has problems: the word "Summary" is way too
far to the left, and the paragraph text is centered rather than left
justified. Here's a picture:
http://www.tc3.edu/instruct/sbrown/ti83/webpage2.jpg

The paragraph is styled with class Summary, and the word "Summary" is
styled with class SummaryH. The relevant declarations are
..SummaryH
{ float:left; margin-left:-6.5em; width:6.5em }
..Summary
{ margin-left:6.5em; margin-top:1em; text-indent:0 }
and the CSS is at http://www.tc3.edu/instruct/sbrown/tc3.css

The very next paragraph works correctly, as you can see. The only
difference I'm aware of is that that paragraph contains a <br>.

IE7 also works as expected when I have a div rather than a p. For
example:
http://www.tc3.edu/instruct/sbrown/ti83/math200b.htm
Here's a picture:
http://www.tc3.edu/instruct/sbrown/ti83/webpage3.jpg

1. Have I made some subtle mistake in my CSS?

2. Whether I have or not, does IE8 get it right and make the summary
p look like the webpage3 picture rather than the webpage2 one?

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
HTML 4.01 spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/
validator: http://validator.w3.org/
CSS 2.1 spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/
validator: http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
Why We Won't Help You:
http://diveintomark.org/archives/2003/05/05/why_we_wont_help_you
From: Jonathan N. Little on
Stan Brown wrote:

> I'm trying to establish a left margin for a summary paragraph, with
> the word "Summary" in the margin. It's not working in IE7, and I'd
> appreciate some help. It works fine in Firefox; see this URL:
> http://www.tc3.edu/instruct/sbrown/stat/correl.htm
>
> But in IE7 the same page has problems: the word "Summary" is way too
> far to the left, and the paragraph text is centered rather than left
> justified. Here's a picture:
> http://www.tc3.edu/instruct/sbrown/ti83/webpage2.jpg
>
> The paragraph is styled with class Summary, and the word "Summary" is
> styled with class SummaryH. The relevant declarations are
> .SummaryH
> { float:left; margin-left:-6.5em; width:6.5em }
> .Summary
> { margin-left:6.5em; margin-top:1em; text-indent:0 }
> and the CSS is at http://www.tc3.edu/instruct/sbrown/tc3.css
>
> The very next paragraph works correctly, as you can see. The only
> difference I'm aware of is that that paragraph contains a<br>.
>
> IE7 also works as expected when I have a div rather than a p. For
> example:
> http://www.tc3.edu/instruct/sbrown/ti83/math200b.htm
> Here's a picture:
> http://www.tc3.edu/instruct/sbrown/ti83/webpage3.jpg
>
> 1. Have I made some subtle mistake in my CSS?
>
> 2. Whether I have or not, does IE8 get it right and make the summary
> p look like the webpage3 picture rather than the webpage2 one?

<head>
<title>One Way</title>

p.summarize {
margin-left: 6em;
}
p.summarize span {
display: block; position: relative; left: -6em; top: 1.25em;
}

</head>

From the sample correlation it is possible to estimate the population
correlation. This page previews the techniques of inferential statistics
that can estimate the correlation coefficient of the population.
A downloadable Excel workbook does all these calculations. The
downloadable TI-83/84 program Extra Statistics Utilities part 6 computes
confidence intervals and hypothesis tests.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
From: dorayme on
In article <hglsk0$a5m$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
"Jonathan N. Little" <lws4art(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Stan Brown wrote:
> >
> > I'm trying to establish a left margin for a summary paragraph, with
> > the word "Summary" in the margin. It's not working in IE7, and I'd
> > appreciate some help. It works fine in Firefox; see this URL:
> > http://www.tc3.edu/instruct/sbrown/stat/correl.htm
> >
> > But in IE7 the same page has problems: the word "Summary" is way too
> > far to the left, and the paragraph text is centered rather than left
> > justified. Here's a picture:
> > http://www.tc3.edu/instruct/sbrown/ti83/webpage2.jpg
> >
> > The paragraph is styled with class Summary, and the word "Summary" is
> > styled with class SummaryH. The relevant declarations are
> > .SummaryH
> > { float:left; margin-left:-6.5em; width:6.5em }
> > .Summary
> > { margin-left:6.5em; margin-top:1em; text-indent:0 }
> > and the CSS is at http://www.tc3.edu/instruct/sbrown/tc3.css
> >
> > The very next paragraph works correctly, as you can see. The only
> > difference I'm aware of is that that paragraph contains a<br>.
> >
> > IE7 also works as expected when I have a div rather than a p. For
> > example:
> > http://www.tc3.edu/instruct/sbrown/ti83/math200b.htm
> > Here's a picture:
> > http://www.tc3.edu/instruct/sbrown/ti83/webpage3.jpg
> >
> > 1. Have I made some subtle mistake in my CSS?
> >
> > 2. Whether I have or not, does IE8 get it right and make the summary
> > p look like the webpage3 picture rather than the webpage2 one?
> >

> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
> <head>
> <title>One Way</title>

> p.summarize {
> margin-left: 6em;
> }
> p.summarize span {
> display: block; position: relative; left: -6em; top: 1.25em;
> }
>

> </head>

> From the sample correlation it is possible to estimate the population
> correlation. This page previews the techniques of inferential statistics
> that can estimate the correlation coefficient of the population.
> A downloadable Excel workbook does all these calculations. The
> downloadable TI-83/84 program Extra Statistics Utilities part 6 computes
> confidence intervals and hypothesis tests.

Perhaps not so simple in Stan's context. Take a look at it.

Surely what is intended is close enough to a table to justify an HTML
one in this case. The trickiest thing then is simply to style the ul
that has the bullets so that it is indented but not *too much*.

Btw, Stan, perhaps you ought to consider a bulletless UL for the 'See
also' data rather than a <br> to distinguish the two items.

--
dorayme
From: Stan Brown on
Mon, 21 Dec 2009 08:37:28 +1100 from dorayme
<doraymeRidThis(a)optusnet.com.au>:

> In article <hglsk0$a5m$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
> "Jonathan N. Little" <lws4art(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > p.summarize span {
> > display: block; position: relative; left: -6em; top: 1.25em;
> > }
>
> Perhaps not so simple in Stan's context. Take a look at it.

Thanks to you both for responding.

Replacing a float with a position:relative seems to be the nub of
Jonathan's suggestion. Jonathan, can you say why you prefer one over
the other, and Dorayme, can you say what you expect to go wrong? I'm
not generally comfortable with position, so I take this as a learning
opportunity.

And I'm still wondering: is this an IE7 bug, or have I done something
wrong?

> Surely what is intended is close enough to a table to justify an HTML
> one in this case. The trickiest thing then is simply to style the ul
> that has the bullets so that it is indented but not *too much*.

Hmm ... I hadn't really thought about a table because it seemed like
I was using it to solve a layout problem. But maybe I go too far in
avoiding tables.

> Btw, Stan, perhaps you ought to consider a bulletless UL for the 'See
> also' data rather than a <br> to distinguish the two items.

I agree that the <br> is wrong because it will mess up in a narrow
widow, and I can see why you suggest a list, but why bulletless?

From: Jonathan N. Little on
Stan Brown wrote:
> Mon, 21 Dec 2009 08:37:28 +1100 from dorayme
> <doraymeRidThis(a)optusnet.com.au>:
>>
>> In article<hglsk0$a5m$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
>> "Jonathan N. Little"<lws4art(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> p.summarize span {
>>> display: block; position: relative; left: -6em; top: 1.25em;
>>> }
>>
>> Perhaps not so simple in Stan's context. Take a look at it.
>
> Thanks to you both for responding.
>
> Replacing a float with a position:relative seems to be the nub of
> Jonathan's suggestion. Jonathan, can you say why you prefer one over
> the other, and Dorayme, can you say what you expect to go wrong? I'm
> not generally comfortable with position, so I take this as a learning
> opportunity.

IE especially IE6 has problems with floats and margins...This way just
bypasses it even works in old IE5x

> And I'm still wondering: is this an IE7 bug, or have I done something
> wrong?
>
>> Surely what is intended is close enough to a table to justify an HTML
>> one in this case. The trickiest thing then is simply to style the ul
>> that has the bullets so that it is indented but not *too much*.
>
> Hmm ... I hadn't really thought about a table because it seemed like
> I was using it to solve a layout problem. But maybe I go too far in
> avoiding tables.

Table would work...I guess

+---------+-----------------+
| topic | expanded |
| | description.... |
+---------+-----------------+
| topic | expanded |
| | description.... |

>> Btw, Stan, perhaps you ought to consider a bulletless UL for the 'See
>> also' data rather than a<br> to distinguish the two items.
>
> I agree that the<br> is wrong because it will mess up in a narrow
> widow, and I can see why you suggest a list, but why bulletless?

I have no issue with the bullets.

--
Take care,

Jonathan