From: Goran on
On Jan 22, 12:04 pm, Hector Santos <sant9...(a)nospam.gmail.com> wrote:

In the interest of honesty: I, too, wrote CSV parsers (or participated
in writing them) in my time.

My bias is clear, however: was that my, or my employer's, time well
spent? I don't think so.

> Goran wrote:
> > Effort in learning __that__ certainly beats effort of rolling your
> > own. Of course, that's provided that fits your use-case and that there
> > is a similar library. But that's done by Googling, newsgrouping and
> > reading.
>
> Still a learning curve for most.

It's still better to learn to call some new functions, than do the
silly grunt work of writing e.g. strtok-s. (And that, for something as
common as CSV parsing.)

>  You know the old saying "Teach a man
> how to fish...." moral.

What, as in "if I write CSV parser, I learned something?" If you are
learning and but want to exercise on CSV, OK (I said that in my first
post). But otherwise, there's more to learn by looking at an existing
CSV parser than in rolling your own. Especially if one finds something
comprehensive. And even if one finds/corrects bugs in it.

Goran.
From: Hector Santos on
Goran wrote:

> On Jan 22, 12:04 pm, Hector Santos <sant9...(a)nospam.gmail.com> wrote:
>
> In the interest of honesty: I, too, wrote CSV parsers (or participated
> in writing them) in my time.
>
> My bias is clear, however: was that my, or my employer's, time well
> spent? I don't think so.

It depends Goran. I rather have someone be able to think for himself,
solve problems without have to depend too much on 3rd party solutions,
and generally, when used as a "tool", like a hammer or screwdriver, it
is normally because you already know how to use the hammer or
screwdriver. IOW, if you know what you are doing, then go ahead and
get that library, rather than get the library because you (speaking in
general) lack a understanding of what the problem was to solve it. It
becomes a crutch.

I personally believe the IDE and evolution of component (modular)
engineering has placated sound engineering thinking. The technology
was meant not only to increase productivity, but to merge disciplines
and lower the cost of expertise.

>> Still a learning curve for most.
>
> It's still better to learn to call some new functions, than do the
> silly grunt work of writing e.g. strtok-s. (And that, for something as
> common as CSV parsing.)

Yes, when you already know what you are doing. Thats a mark of a good
programmer with insight into problem solving.

>> You know the old saying "Teach a man how to fish...." moral.
>
> What, as in "if I write CSV parser, I learned something?"

Sure, if you never did it before.

> If you are learning and but want to exercise on CSV, OK (I said that

> in my first post). But otherwise, there's more to learn by looking
> at an existing CSV parser than in rolling your own.

We have to respectfully agree to disagree. :) I sincerely doubt most
people will understand how to use a library if he/she didn't have a
fundamental understanding in what to look for and how to use it.

> Especially if one finds something

> comprehensive. And even if one finds/corrects bugs in it.

Fix after the fact programming. Love it! :) I have fired a well known
developer for that mindset. What ever happen to a QA engineering mantra?

"Getting it right... the first time!"

--
HLS
From: Tom Serface on
That's one of the things that MFC really has going for it. There is a lot
of code available and you typically get source with it so, even if there is
some learning curve, you still get a jump start on getting your job done
even if you just see how it's done in the sample code.

Tom

From: Tom Serface on
One thing most parsers don't handle correctly, that's I've seen, is double
double quotes for strings if you want to have a quote as part of the string
like:

"This is my string "Tom" that I am using", "Next token", "Next token"

In the above, from my perspective, the parser should read the entire first
string since we didn't come to a delimiter yet, but a lot of tokenizers
choke on this sort of thing.

From: Tom Serface on
I'd say, "it depends". For example, I have a program where I have
specialized parsing needs and the program needs to be really small and not
include any external code. I wrote my own specialized parser and it was a
good use of time imo. I've found that most of the parsers that are "in the
box" libraries are very limited in scope.

Tom

"Goran" <goran.pusic(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Jan 22, 12:04 pm, Hector Santos <sant9...(a)nospam.gmail.com> wrote:
>
> In the interest of honesty: I, too, wrote CSV parsers (or participated
> in writing them) in my time.

..