From: Hector Santos on
Pete Delgado wrote:

>> Joesph M. Newcomer wrote:
>>

>> Huh? I'd be embarassed to publish an algorithm that was based on K&R C.
>> It represents the best of mediocre programming of thirty years ago.

>> When I first read it, in 1975, I said "This language is really
>> badly done",

> ..... I think you are confusing the defects in the
> implementation of the standard library with the true language defects.
> Additionally, I think to compare a 30+ year old language that was originally
> designed as a system implementation language with the modern general purpose
> languages of today is misleading. C met its goals and became wildly
> successful despite its flaws and is still very widely used even today.

Excellent point Pete.

My opinion on a related note:

I find it increasing harder to shallow how even today, people are
getting locked into thinking or "mindset" molded that what you did in
the past was all wrong and today's method is the better way. While
one might be able explain why the "militants" of this mantra are they
way they are, I just find the "stubbornness" very vexing, especially
from those who are obviously veterans of the industry. Generally, it
is the opposite.

Again, a rhetorical opinion.

I personally find it very odd that a dialect of the C language or any
language for that matter, has been "kludge" to support a syntax that
is cluttered with type casting.

So as Joe might has stated 25 years ago in regards to C:

"This language is really badly done"

I can easily say the same thing today with today's C/C++ syntaxing to
support unicode. I say that because 25 years from now, programmers
will most likely be saying the same sort of thing:

"This language is really badly done! It isn't
necessary today. Why all the extra coding?"

I only say that because I am firm believer in functional programming
where such specifics are excluded from the overall "thinking" and
interfacing, I/O transformation or function generators.

This is closer and it also it is a rebirth direction of where MS and
others are going with its languages. It is more "natural" per se,
without the wasteful "think time" to address minor details one has to
put into current C/C++ programming.

These minor details are quite often SO "touchy" in its required
construct that if one subtle mistake will create the same or worst
problem that it attempted to resolved or be part of the two part solution.

--
HLS
From: Tom Serface on
OK, you make some good points, but I think to the typical PC users, they
don't see the action of a carriage any longer.

Tom

From: Tom Serface on
Yeah, there are too many worlds these days :o) I wish they could all get
together and make all of our jobs easier. All I ever need in CSV is a line
ending character. More than one is just more than one.

From: Hector Santos on
+1 and that was the goal, to make it transparent. Reminds me of an
old user confuser support question, when told to press any key:

"Where is the ANY key?"

:)

From: Hector Santos on
Tom Serface wrote:

> Yeah, there are too many worlds these days :o) I wish they could all
> get together and make all of our jobs easier. All I ever need in CSV is
> a line ending character. More than one is just more than one.

+1. I think overall, as experienced by my own career, system
interoperability has been somewhat successful, i.e. it worked to the
extent that it did allow you to continue, to enjoy it, not go crazy or
give up in this line of work. No doubt there were specific things you
wish were different and even felt at times the world would be better
of if done things that people knew about but were afraid to do or
change. The "Who Moved My Cheese?" syndrome.

This CSV topic was interested because it represents a primitive
protocol with many open-ended use cases. Yakov made an 2005 attempt
to codify the basic simple thinking but it could not cover all bases
and in typical RFC fashion, because it can not cover all bases, it
intentionally leaves much of this open ended. The document is peppered
with this, for example it states in regards to a line ending:

Encoding considerations:

As per section 4.1.1. of RFC 2046 [3], this media type uses CRLF
to denote line breaks. However, implementors should be aware that
some implementations may use other values.

This is a common approach to RFC documents. Intentional and ambiguous
informal notes. It tells you to be aware but only as a READER but not
what are the possible cases as a READER or WRITER.

There is also a few other subtle points to understand about this document.

- This RFC are not standard, they are recommendations,
guidelines,

- This RFC was an Informational category, not standard track.

The latter is important because it means it was fast tracked as an
informational RFC and thus didn't require a IETF working group (WG)
peer review process that can take 2-4 years or longer. That is
probably why I didn't see this in 2005. A Working Group would of
scrubbed many issues and for that reason it would of prolonged the RFC
publication. I personally find the security section lacking and SQL
CSV input formats considerations missing.

One thing you can do to help the world is to create IETF draft
proposals or get involved in the some of the standardization working
groups.

--
HLS