From: Luft on
Is it possible to pass a PDF as a parameter to a server via remoting?
If so is there a resource I can use to learn how?

Thank you.
From: Scott M. on
You can upload a file, but to pass a PDF file, it would need to be able to
be represented as an object, otherwise you could pass a file path to where
the PDF lives.

-Scott

From: Luft on
Thanks Scott. The thing is that the users are now required to save
certain documents by law and once saved they are not allowed access.
So I can't upload them because the user doesn't have write access. I
thought about passing a link and having the server end pull the
document across but my supervisor doesn't like that idea.

So I was thinking that if I could somehow serialize the PDF into a
memorystream I might have a shot at sending the file to the server and
then have the server deserialize the memorystream back into a PDF.
But frankly this is beyond my current abilities and for whatever
reason my supervisor has turned down my repeated requests for
training.

So I'm desperately seeking the resources that will allow me to learn
how to do this.

From: Scott M. on

>Thanks Scott. The thing is that the users are now required to save
>certain documents by law and once saved they are not allowed access.
>So I can't upload them because the user doesn't have write access.

I am confused by this. Why do you need write access to upload a file?

-Scott

From: Luft on
I guess we're thinking of two different things when we say "upload."
Maybe your thinking of upload as via an FTP server or some other
transport. I'm thinking of upload as writing a file to a share.

What management wants is to have a button on our Word 2007 ribbon.
When the user clicks it, the document that they are working on gets
converted to a PDF file and saved on our document storage server
automatically and all in one step from the user's perspective.

I'm thinking what I need to do is convert the document into a PDF and
save it on their PC. Read the file into a memorystream. Put the
contents of the memory stream into a byte array. Pass the byte array
to the document server via remoting. At the server end copy the
contents of the byte array back into a memorystream. Write the
memorystream to a file. Save the file to the proper location.

Hopefuly I'm on the right track here.