From: JHEM on
Barry Watzman wrote:
> I understood what you said, but I have not seen a laptop since a mid
> 1990's Compaq 486 that didn't store it's passwords in a flash EEROM,
> which is non-volatile, and which will not be cleared by removing any
> battery.
>
> That's even true for my Zenith 386 Z-Note's from about 1992.

All of the latest Thinkpads will clear the Power On (User) Password by
simply removing the CMOS battery.

But this will have no effect on a Supervisor or Hard Drive Password.

Regards,

James

From: BillW50 on

Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 21:09:32 GMT

I understood what you said, but I have not seen a laptop since a
mid 1990's Compaq 486 that didn't store it's passwords in a flash
EEROM, which is non-volatile, and which will not be cleared by
removing any battery.

That's even true for my Zenith 386 Z-Note's from about 1992.

I think you are being fed some bum information.

If laptops uses EEPROMs to store the password information, why don't
they also use the EEPROM to store the CMOS settings? Thus you don't need
that RTC/CMOS battery in the first place. As simply use the main battery
to run the clock.

But I've never seen a laptop yet that uses EEPROM for setting the
password. Not even my Epson PX-8 ('84 vintage). Nor my Sharp PC4501 ('88
vintage). Which uses the main battery as the same as the RTC/CMOS
battery.

So I don't know why our experiences are totally different? Maybe this
newsgroup crosses over in multiple universes or something? I just don't
know.

Cheers!

Bill (using a Toshiba 2595XDVD & Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within Word 2000

From: EuntyJerk on
What would the factories do if this happened and their customners had to
throw their laptops aways because they used EEPROM instead of battery run
cmos for the passwords? This would get around soon and nobody would buy
unrepairable laptops for such a common mistake.